Need Advice Galvanized Pipe Main Entrance

Users who are viewing this thread

awmartian

Reaction score
Hello,

I have pvc pipe coming from my water meter to the entry point of my home where it then ties into galvanized pipe nipple. I want to replace the galvanized pipe. The inside water lines at the shower and bathroom sinks are already copper. I also want to replace the galvanized pipe nipples that go to my other water hose outlets. What should I replace it with? I am thinking another galvanized pipe since its exposed to the elements, but is their a better option? I am located in Central Valley California so we do get freezing weather. Thank you in advance for any input!

Here is link to pictures (edited with better hosting source): Before PVC replacement
CAM00272.jpg

After PVC Replacement:
20160424-191147.jpg

Last edited:

Reach4

Reaction score
What should I replace it with? I am thinking another galvanized pipe since its exposed to the elements, but is their a better option? I am located in Central Valley California so we do get freezing weather.

Not galvanized. Galvanized rusts. Copper does not rust. PEX does not rust, but needs to be protected from sun.

Whatever you use will not be immune from freezing, so would need protection.

Your picture is not working for me.

One more thing: galvanized is attracted by a magnet. Sometimes weathered a weathered bronze elbow could be mistaken for galvanized. Worth checking.

Last edited:

awmartian

Reaction score
Not galvanized. Galvanized rusts. Copper does not rust. PEX does not rust, but needs to be protected from sun.

Whatever you use will not be immune from freezing, so would need protection.

Your picture is not working for me.

One more thing: galvanized is attracted by a magnet. Sometimes weathered a weathered bronze elbow could be mistaken for galvanized. Worth checking.

Thanks for the reply! I fixed the picture issues. It is definitely galvanized because the inside of the pipes I removed were corroded. I replaced the portion from the meter up to the house with PVC, but stopped at the house nipple for now because I wasn't 100% what to put there. PVC pipes are painted now for additional protection from UV. I wouldn't put PEX on an exterior wall. I don't think that is allowed here in California. I looked at some other houses in the area and they still have galvanized nipples at their hose outlets and main entrance. I am not sure if this is because they haven't been replaced or not. The house was built in 1979. I do not have an issue with water flow, but I do have mineral deposits that drive me nuts.

Reach4

Reaction score
There are brass fittings and bronze fittings and copper fittings that can connect to threaded pipe.

You could come into the house with CPVC. Still has to be protected from sun.

Never heard of not allowing PEX on an an exterior wall. You don't want it to freeze, but PEX is the most able to survive freezing.

If you don't like PEX, and don't like CPVC, then copper seems to be the right solution. Type K is thickest, and type L is usually sufficient. Don't use type M for this. Unless you have corrosive/acid water, copper should make everybody happy.

For freezing , you could build an insulated enclosure that that protects the pipes from the cold from outside. EPS and XPS insulation is good and works even if it gets wet.

I am not a pro.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks