Need advice for supplying detached garage apartment from well

Users who are viewing this thread

kasander

Reaction score
I have been here before and have always been grateful for the wealth of knowledge and helpfulness of many of the members here. I tried searching but didn't find my exact scenario in the forum. I am looking for the best way to provide water to a detached garage apartment using my existing well.

Current setup:

3 bedroom/2 bathroom house

Existing well was in place before I bought the house. Well must be located very close to house because the jet pump is inside the garage. It is a McDonald, not sure of exact size, but it has a return line going back down to the well. There is an expansion tank, I think around 15 gallon. I also have a Culligan twin tank water softener system due to the high iron and hardness of the water.

I do not know the depth of the well, or even the exact location. The pvc supply and return line exit the garage, then disappear underground adjacent to the foundation.

I would prefer not to mess with the well itself, the current setup has worked well for the 12 years I have owned the home.

The pressure switch is set at approximately 40/60, and the pump will not go much above 60, so I cannot adjust it to a higher setting.

One more thing, I purchased a CSV1A cycle stop valve several years ago, but never installed it because I dread messing with the plumbing.

Here is what I need (want):

Supply water to 1 bedroom/1 bathroom garage apartment, approximately 150ft away from pump. Elevation is flat, but apartment is above detached garage, so probably 20 ft vertically to the shower head.

I would also like higher pressure in my existing house if possible.

Based on some preliminary research, I was thinking of adding a Goulds J5S pump to boost the pressure. Assuming this is a good route, how would I configure the system? Should I go from existing pump, through CSV1A, then through existing expansion tank, then to new pump and a PK1A valve/tank kit, then tee off a 1" line to supply garage apartment and existing house from there? Or should I put the new pump/CSV/tank in the new garage?

I hope I have provided enough info to solicit some suggestions, if not, let me know what other info is needed.

Thanks!

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
You are going to need more pressure so I would go for the J7 or the J10. Attach the PK1A kit to the jet pump and set the pressure to 50/70. At 50/70 I would recommend the 10 gallon tank with the PK1A or attach the existing tank as well if it is still good. After the PK1A and tank simply tee off to the main house and the garage apartment.

kasander

Reaction score
valveman, I don't want to change existing pump or tamper with the well. I have no idea what size the jet ejector is at the bottom of the well and as I understand it needs to be matched to the pump. I only want to add an additional pump. I cannot increase my switch to 50/70, because this pump will never hit 70psi. With this in mind, what do you suggest?

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
The J5 will work and work with that ejector, just won't pump as much water and pressure as the larger pumps. There are like three choices on the ejector nozzle, one of which would probably give you more pressure. But not much option without pulling the ejector either way.

kasander

Reaction score
Ok, my memory was a little off, so last night I took a look at my setup. I have a FLOTEC FP7110T 19 gallon pressure tank. I could not find a nameplate on the motor, but the pressure switch is 20/40. I am guessing my well must be fairly deep if this is all the pressure I can get from the mcdonald convertible pump. I guess I can get a clamp meter to check current draw and figure out the motor size that way if necessary.

Again, leaving my current system in place, should I add the J5 at the outlet of the existing pressure tank and supply the house and garage from there, or install the J5 out in the garage?

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
The J5 is a Goulds not a McDonald pump. The specs maybe very different and one model jet assembly may not work for the other brand. If your well pump is strong enough you can turn up the pressure as much as you want. Adding an additional booster pump may not work if the well pump cannot supply enough water to start with.

kasander

Reaction score
I guess somehow I am not being clear. I currently have a Mcdonald convertible pump and 19 gal pressure tank. I do not want to change or remove this setup or tamper with the well. I want to add a J5 pump and PK1A valve/tank setup at the outlet of the existing tank. Will this work?

I do not have any problem with flow rate, but my pressure at 20/40 is not enough to supply the garage apartment. (It is marginal for the existing house, my wife complains about the pressure in the shower). The existing pump will not produce much more than 40psi.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Maybe. The J5S would be a better booster than the J5. As long as the well pump can supply enough volume this will work. But if the booster is trying to pump more than the well can supply you will have a problem. When the well is a low producer and you need good pressure in the house a cistern storage tank can be filled slowly with the well pump, then a booster can give you as much volume and pressure as you want. It is worth a try as worst case you would need to add a little cistern in the loop. In case you need a cistern I would use the J5SH so it could make more pressure if needed.

LOW YIELD WELL_ CENTRIFUGAL_PK1A.jpg

kasander

Reaction score
Great, thanks for the help. I was thinking with my existing 19 gallon pressure tank and an additional 10 gallon pressure tank with the PK1A kit that may be enough. The other question I originally asked was should I put a CSV1A between the original pump and the original pressure tank?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks