Need advice fixing the unfinished.

Users who are viewing this thread

blackamish

Reaction score
I paid a plumber to do some work while I was away. I need to fix and finish the kitchen sink and island sink plumbing. The main sink is an apron sink stainless 9" deep with a single drain and sits under a large window. The drain coming up in the floor is just capped, not vented(told to use studdor valve) and is to close for and disposal. The island is the same with just a drain coming out of floor with no venting vavle or loop. please help.

blackamish

Reaction score
IMG_20130609_113852.jpgIMG_20130609_113214.jpg

Yeah I got robbed. Here are pics of the inside and crawlspace. Any info is greatly appreciated.

MichaelBukay

Plumber
Reaction score
and he used PEX.... COPPER, COPPER, COPPER! I don't know if your area's plumbing code allows studor vents but i'm sure you could make it work if you have no other option. if you really want to DIY, Home Depot has some push-on angle stop valves made by SharkBite that you can just slip on the PEX water piping. If you have some extra cash, I would call a better plumber to come evaluate the other guy's work. Maybe you can back-charge the first guy for his mistakes. good luck.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Yeah, right

quote; Maybe you can back-charge the first guy for his mistakes And HOW would he collect, unless he has not already paid the guy? Even a "judgement" in small claims court does NOT give you the money, it just allows yo to legally collect it, but does not tell you HOW to do it.

Tom Sawyer

In the Trades
Reaction score
What makes you think he made a mistake? better than half the plumbers in the country probably would have done the same thing.
Pex is the material of choice now for most plumbers and as it's an outside wall you can't fault him for bringing those through the floor and there may well be a reason why he didn't put the drain in the wall either, like maybe he can't go up there. Put a san-tee with an AAV on it and proceed as normal.

How many posts here from DIY'ers that have only wanted to pay a plumber to do half the job and then been confused by what the plumber left for them or badmouthed the plumber that did the work? What is there is a no brainer for a professional plumber and requires no back stabbing or second guessing whatsoever. If I sent any of my guys to finish up there, they would be out of there in an hour or two and it would meet code as well.

Last edited:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Like Tom said.
A good Studor Vent and shutoffs for the PEX and you up and running.

Not being on site, anything else is just a guess.

blackamish

Reaction score
Thanks guys and Terry for the info. Putting the san-tee on with the AAV sounds like an easier and quicker solution. I called in another plumber to take a look at actually venting it through the roof. There is open attic space above and open framing. They were suppose to be here last week but said they needed to work up a price. The plumber came out to evaluate and said around 2 hours. They came back with about $650.00 for 3 hours labor and parts. They charge about 150 an hour but I still don't see 200 bucks in parts. It could totally be a good quote for the cleanouts and venting through the roof but a bit more then I was hoping for so a trip to Lowe's or HD is in my future.

Tom Sawyer

In the Trades
Reaction score
So there is access to the roof above and you would rather slap an AAV on it rather than install something that will never require maintenance? At $ 150.00 per hr. your plumber is working cheap. I'd be at $ 235.00

blackamish

Reaction score
Yes there is access to the roof above. I actually want it vented so it is done properly without requiring further maintenance. Can you please advise me on the best way to accomplish this given the current setup. I went to HD and got the items Tom suggested to use the AAV but that was my second option.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
It's just a matter of picking up a roof flashing, and putting the holes in the right location to drop a pipe through.
It's not a lot in parts. In fact, a good AAV runs about $30.00, and that buys a lot of 1.5" ABS pipe.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks