Need advice and questions about my well

Users who are viewing this thread

gregoryxlt

Reaction score
Hello,
Been reading here for a few days now to educate myself about my water well.
This mountain house where this well is has been vacant for nearly 5 years. I shut the water off each fall and drain the system so it doesn’t freeze.
Now I plan to rent this house, the water is slightly rust color so I drained the pressure tank 6 times today. With the drain still open after emptying I turn the pump on and would get a second or 2 of rust then water would clear up some. I would then close the drain and repeat.
After doing this I then go up to the house and let the water run for maybe 10 minuets but still see a slight brownish color I the toilet.
Question, what would be my next step to clear the water?
Also while running the water the pressure gauge will be at 35 psi then drop down to around 20 psi before the pump kicks on then back up to 35 again. Is this normal for a well? Or should the pressure maintain itself at 35?
I would like to increase the pressure to 50, how do I do that? I’ve attached a picture.
The 2 tall green tanks I would think I believe are the softener tanks? The tank on the right when I open it has a tube with holes, is this where I add the salt? If so how much? Also the 3/4 tube with the holes, mine is broke can anyone tell me where I could buy another tube?
Last question, my 1 inch brass T that goes into the pressure tank is cracked and leaking, where would I find one of these? I’ll add another picture of it.

My apologies for all the questions but I need to learn about this system if I’m renting this house.
Thank you for any help,
Greg

Attachments

• 7C581939-6118-4461-AD6B-A032748534A2.jpeg
    7C581939-6118-4461-AD6B-A032748534A2.jpeg
    104.4 KB · Views: 259
  • F0041A32-CE90-431B-97FC-EDC8170DA18F.jpeg
    F0041A32-CE90-431B-97FC-EDC8170DA18F.jpeg
    107.4 KB · Views: 276
  • C6FC0E21-71BF-4B42-BE40-E98A134BF50E.jpeg
    C6FC0E21-71BF-4B42-BE40-E98A134BF50E.jpeg
    91.1 KB · Views: 285
  • E9B2E262-6AE6-4DF9-A792-94D41F82EB17.jpeg
    E9B2E262-6AE6-4DF9-A792-94D41F82EB17.jpeg
    93.5 KB · Views: 255

Reach4

Reaction score
I am only commenting on part of your post.

Also while running the water the pressure gauge will be at 35 psi then drop down to around 20 psi before the pump kicks on then back up to 35 again. Is this normal for a well? Or should the pressure maintain itself at 35?
It is normal for a pressure switch to turn on 20 PSI lower than the turn-off pressure. The pressure should not "kick" up or down, but rises and falls somewhat gradually. The pressure tank is what serves as a smoothing device.
I would like to increase the pressure to 50, how do I do that?
The pressure switch is adjustable within limits.
To raise or lower the cut-in and cut-out settings while keeping the
differential between those two settings constant, adjust the range
nut. The range nut is the 3/8-inch nut that adjusts the larger of
the two springs.
Turn the range nut clo
ckwise to increase the cut-in pressure and
counter-clockwise to lower the cut-in pressure. Three and a half
revolutions of the range nut will change both the cut-in and
cut-out settings by approximately 10 psi.

Last question, my 1 inch brass T that goes into the pressure tank is cracked and leaking, where would I find one of these?
That is called a "tank tee". You will find those readily. They often have dual threads on the ends -- inside and outside. Use one or the other.

The 2 tall green tanks I would think I believe are the softener tanks? The tank on the right when I open it has a tube with holes, is this where I add the salt? If so how much? Also the 3/4 tube with the holes, mine is broke can anyone tell me where I could buy another tube?
You might post pictures in the softener forum.

Also, you really want to get a lab water test of your raw water. I like kit 90 from http://www.karlabs.com/watertestkit/ for a typical well.

gregoryxlt

Reaction score
Thank you, if I set the pressure to 50 what should the bladder pressure be? The same or a few pounds less than 50?

Reach4

Reaction score
Thank you, if I set the pressure to 50 what should the bladder pressure be? The same or a few pounds less than 50?
2 pounds less than 30 for a submersible pump when the pressure switch is set for 30/50. Setting the precharge higher won't hurt, but it will cause a stutter in pressure because the water will run out before the pump can respond with new water.

Precharge gets set with the water pressure equal to zero.

After finishing your well and plumbing work and flushing, you will want to sanitize the well and plumbing.

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
Is that a kick-in or kick-out pressure? Normally both are mentioned and the kick-in is what the precharge is based on as reach4 said.

gregoryxlt

Reaction score
I found the tank tee online for $117, has everything included. Was thinking while I have the pressure tank disconnected is there a good way to clean it out real good? Bet iron has coated the walls and bladder

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
To each his own. I have a brother in law that thinks 20 PSI is fine. Water barely dribbles out of his low flow shower head.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks