Need advice about captive nut use with P-Trap.

Users who are viewing this thread

Slots

Reaction score
I have a 1-1/2" PVC (white) p-trap. Connecting at the tailpipe side is no problem. But connecting at the 1-1/2" (white) wall side pipe is a problem. The captive nut on the (Charlottesville 1-1/2") wall side pipe is thinner, larger (2" ?) and does not come down over the end of the pipe. I have never seen this before. Is there an adapter or something I can use? I accidentally threw out the pieces that were previously connected. Thanks for any help

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
I have a 1 1/2" PVC (white) p-trap. Connecting at the tailpipe side is no problem. But connecting at the 1 1/2" (white) wall side pipe is a problem. The captive nut on the (Charlottesville 1 1/2") wall side pipe is thinner, larger (2" ?) and does not come down over the end of the pipe. I have never seen this before. Is there an adapter or something I can use? I accidentally threw out the pieces that were previously connected. Thanks for any help
Not sure what you're referring to but this is a typical p trap. The trap arm goes inside the wall pipe. The fitting you see in the the picture should be cemented to the wall pipe assuming it's all PVC or ABS. If it is iron pipe there might just be a threaded pipe out of the wall. One slip nut is on the trap arm with the 1.5" washer threads onto the wall pipe.
ptrap.jpg

Reach4

Reaction score
Upload a photo. 800 pixels and 200KB max.

Does (2" ?) , maybe mean about 1.9 real inches? Or something well over 2 inches?

p-trap-parts-terrylove-01.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks