Need a well cap/cover - extended version.

Users who are viewing this thread

andyupnorth

Reaction score
Hello smart people out there.

With a vacuum valve and a liquid-tight cord grip on my well cap I need more room under the well cover.
As you can see in the picture, I would need an additional 1.5" between the base and the cap and the life would be good.
Does anyone a suggestion where to find a roomer cap or any suggestion for a solution?

IMG-20181217-WA0001.jpg

Last edited:

Boycedrilling

In the Trades
Reaction score
Does you homebrew seal hold the pressure.? You do realize 6.5 psi inside your 6” casing is 191 pounds of thrust? You have to insulate and heat that casing that is above ground. The water inside will freeze and expand when the temps drop below freezing.

When I have a well with more than 2 or 3 psi head pressure, I will flange the top of the casing and build a custom flanged top. Then the well goes inside of a pump house to keep it from freezing. Everybody thinks they would like a flowing artesian well, until they have to deal with one.

Can you push your sealing plate a couple of inches down inside the casing? Baker makes a heavy duty well cap that is domed, rather than the economy one you have. Whether it would be enough.....

andyupnorth

Reaction score
Does you homebrew seal hold the pressure.? You do realize 6.5 psi inside your 6” casing is 191 pounds of thrust? You have to insulate and heat that casing that is above ground. The water inside will freeze and expand when the temps drop below freezing.

When I have a well with more than 2 or 3 psi head pressure, I will flange the top of the casing and build a custom flanged top. Then the well goes inside of a pump house to keep it from freezing. Everybody thinks they would like a flowing artesian well, until they have to deal with one.

Can you push your sealing plate a couple of inches down inside the casing? Baker makes a heavy duty well cap that is domed, rather than the economy one you have. Whether it would be enough.....

I'm well aware (pun intended) of the pressure in the casing. When I remove the center plug on the casing seal the plug takes off quite a few feet in the air.
With this artesian flowing well I have no water standing at the top. If I run the pump 15 minutes/150 G the water level is at 30', 30 min/300 G - 40', 60 min/600 G - 45'. No need for a pump house over the well. Just need to cover up the well top.
I could grind off the edges of the casing plug to make it fit inside the casing and place it 2" below, then use a standard cover but I'm afraid it will be hard to get the plug level and seal 100%.

IMG_20181116_110954.jpg

Reach4

Reaction score
How about grinding the underside of the cap? Is the problem the height of the black plug, or the diameter of the plug?

andyupnorth

Reaction score
How about grinding the underside of the cap? Is the problem the height of the black plug, or the diameter of the plug?

The upper part of the black plug rests on the top of the casing. The cord grip and the vacuum valve sticks up 1.5"-2" above the top of the black plug.
A standard well cap only has 1" or so headroom.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks