Need a Trip Flush Lever/Handle for Odd-Shaped URC Atlas 4490 Tank Hole (Universal Rundle Corp)

Users who are viewing this thread

Cfipp

Reaction score
I have had the hardest time finding replacement flush handles/trip levers for my old Universal Rundle Corp URC Atlas 4490 toilets. The hole in the tank is oval and handle after handle will not fit into the hole.

I finally got "universal replacement" plastic ones and they lasted about a month. The round plastic tube/sleeve where the lever inserts into the handle cracked on both of them in short time. I don't want any more plastic ones.

I've shopped PlumbingSupply.com but they only have plastic ones: https://www.plumbingsupply.com/ur-toiletrepairparts-atlas.html#4490

(I know I should replace my toilets but it's not in the budget. Both toilets work fine except for needing new levers/handles.)

Has anyone else encountered this? Where can I get a properly fitting lever/handle?

Thanks in advance for the help!

IMG_6819 (Large).JPG IMG_6820 (Large).JPG IMG_6821 (Large).JPG IMG_6822 (Large).JPG

Cfipp

Reaction score
Has anyone every had one of these in their hands? Is it just a threaded bolt that goes through the hole? Or a fitting? I can't tell from the photo:
8.5 in. Heavy-Duty Solid Brass Toilet Tank Lever with Chrome Handle
Home Depot link

UPDATE: I found this post in the Home Depot Q&A with photos! This looks like it might work! ... Or maybe not. I need a side view of that square mounting nut-thingy that goes into the hole from inside the tank.

Last edited:

Cfipp

Reaction score
Thanks so much for the reply. I have already bookmarked and checked out both of those sites and they both sell only a plastic lever. :(

Cfipp

Reaction score
The plastic can't handle the torque.

EDIT: I just realized I have the handle facing the wrong way. That's what happens when you pull something out of the trash and put it back together for a photo. Sorry! (For anyone who is confused, the pointy part of the handle must be pointing to the left so that when you press down on it, the lever raises and lifts the flapper.)

IMG_6823 (Large).JPG

IMG_6825 (Large).JPG

IMG_6826 (Large).JPG

IMG_6829 (Large).JPG

IMG_6832 (Large).JPG

Last edited:

Cfipp

Reaction score
I read about someone who also has a URC with an oval tank hole. They used their Dremel and a cylindrical grinding stone attachment to widen the hole opening.

I have a Dremel and grinding stones. I also have some diamond drill bits that I use to drill holes in bottom of ceramics/pottery for plants. I wonder if I could use either of those to widen the hole? Main thing when drilling a hole in pottery is to keep it cool by stopping the drill and spraying the pottery surface with water every few seconds. Has anyone tried widening a tank hole?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks