Need a second opinion on Noise Coming from Sprinkler Pump

Users who are viewing this thread

Waybe

Reaction score
I installed a 2 HP Red Lion pump on my shallow well that is used to irrigate my lawn.
The Pump is only a couple of months old.
I start noticing vibrating noise coming from the back of the pump after it has been running for 15 mins.
It doesn't make this noise when the pump motor is cool.
It seems like the noise is coming from the rear bearing. When I put my ear against the front of the pump I can't hear anything grinding against the impeller.
Prior to this the pump wasn't making this noise.
The pump is producing plenty of water about 20 gallons per minute max. My zones use about 12-15 gallons a min per zone.
Thanks for the input
Here is a link to a video.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/aYrpwTzW3j9jvwNCA

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
I do believe it is a bearing. It does not sound like cavitation. All pump bearings are cheap to start with. They make cheap bearings that are designed to only last maybe 5 years of average service. A good bearing with a grease zerk and one shot of grease every year would make pumps last 30-40 years or longer, and they don't want that. In a big box of cheap bearings you are going to have some that are bad right out of the box, and I think that is what you have. Will still probably last past the warranty period, which is the manufacturers only goal.

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
At the back of the motor there is a centrifugal switch. It is possible it is hitting a wire as things heat up and expand. You can remove the rear cover and still run the pump.

I had a home with a pool for 26 years and I changed the pump motor at least three times plus the original motor, that is four motors and as Valveman stated. I had a few lasted only five years. All of them the bearings went bad and one seized up due to bad bearings. I also had a well & pump motor installed around 1997 and I sold the home in 2016 with the same motor.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Sealed ball bearings only last as long as the grease inside them last. Ball bearings with a shot of grease every year will last forever, almost like a Kingsbury type bearing in a submersible motor. But finding a bearing with a grease zerk anymore is as rare as hens teeth. The manufacture know exactly how long those sealed bearings will last and have already made the down payment on a new car counting on it.

Banjo Bud

Reaction score
I know what you mean. I’m a toolmaker and have modified several things that are designed to fail. I just shake my head at the way some things are designed. Sheesh.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks