Need a recommendation for a fill valve for an undersized Toto single piece toilet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Snorp

DIY Junior Member
Reaction score
Hello folks,

I'm very grateful for all of you who get us DIYers out of jams.

An eon ago I bought a very small one piece Toto toilet for my very small bathroom. It's served me well generally speaking. I've replaced several fill valves over the years but due to apparent water loss when flushing I'm looking for a new valve. I've always used normal size fill valves and perhaps that's the source of my water bill issues. I don't know the model number of my toilet as I bought it online and it was apparently rejected during inspection for some reason as the model number wasn't marked on the toilet.

As one would expect, one of the issues with using a standard size valve is their height - they barely fit when they're installed as recommended in the instructions. A place near the top of these valves is to be lined up with the top of the fill tube (per code I think). (Could the fill tube be trimmed down a quarter of an inch without creating a problem?)

Anyway, I've seen those small valves which lay on the bottom of the tank advertised but the reviews for them make me hesitate.

All comments and suggestions will be appreciated.

Andy

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I use the Korky fill valve on those. The Fluidmaster valves are too tall for the short one-piece TOTO.
Either the blue cap or the gray cap.

korky528t-with-back.jpg

528T_in_1.jpg

Last edited:

Reach4

Reaction score
I suspect you mean the overflow tube, rather than fill tube. The refill tube is that flexible tube. Not sure what a fill tube would be.

I don't see how cutting the overflow tube will help. Maybe pretend your overflow tube has been cut, for this purpose, and set the fill valve to match that imaginary level.

If, on the other hand, you are saying that the fill valve is set as low as it will go, and you want lower, never mind.

Snorp

DIY Junior Member
Reaction score
I use the Korky fill valve on those. The Fluidmaster valves are too tall for the short one-piece TOTO.
Either the blue cap or the gray cap.

View attachment 87578

View attachment 87576
Thanks Terry.

I've been using the Korky valves but I don't know what's happened as the last one I bought sets too high (at or just above the lid height) and is causing problems. Also, the top part sets almost against the side of the tank. All of this, at times, causes the water to keep flowing - almost silently. I suspected that I had a problem with the house water inlet line and the water meter was running although everything in the house was shut off. Turned out to be the toilet with the Korky. I was able to stop the flow and the meter stopped running.

Sorry about the refill tube comment - meant the overflow tube. The instructions for the Korky said to set the height so that an area on the 'head' of the Korky was at the same level as the top of the refill tube. As I remember, the instructions said something about that having to do with a plumbing code. So, I figured that trimming off a quarter of an inch or so from the refill tube would probably lower the height enough to solve my problem. Perhaps just lowering the overall height of the Korky would work as well. But, I don't know what that would do to the flushing operation.

The photos of the various Korky models seem to show that the size of the 'head' on them is the same 'head' so switching to a different model wouldn't seem to help. I happened to buy the premium version.

Thanks again Terry.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The last thing you should have done was lower the overflow. That can't be cut down lower.

ms864114e-4.jpg

Looking inside one with the green fill valve.

korky-528-red-line.jpg

There is a line marked on the Korky fill valve that shows the high water line.
That should be 1/2" below the top of the overflow tube.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks