Need 3 new toilets

Users who are viewing this thread

HoneySuckle

Reaction score
Mikey said:
I've read that ladies prefer the elongated bowls because it's easier to finish the job, if you get my drift. Doesn't matter much to us men, because we don't usually have to apply TP after peeing, but ladies are said to like the extra room in front. It's not something you probably think much about, but the next time you're using a public rest room with elongated toilets, pay attention during the whole process and notice how or if the elongated bowl makes any difference.

Maybe we need a POLL to quantify the results :confused: .

You know something, I never really paid attention before but I sure will from now on before purchasing an elongated toilet;) Thanks for the tip.

Terry I would never buy any old toilet from a big box store, it will have to be the best they carry or no deal.

HoneySuckle

Reaction score
I noticed that there is a pressure assist toilet and gravity assist? As if the choices weren't mind boggling a girl has to figure out if she needs gravity or pressure assit toilets?:eek: Please explain which of these features are most important. Will get a Toto so you all hold on to your horses but now I have to figure out the best one for me:(

Plus I don't understand what a rough-in means - does that have to do with where the toilet sits? How can I find out if I need a 10" or 12". Who would have thought that buying a toilet would be such a pain in the butt.

Mikey

Aspiring Old Fart, EE, computer & networking geek
Reaction score
Gravity = entire flush depends on water running downhill. Water stored in the tank flows out of the tank, into the bowl, and down the draing, carrying all the golf balls with it.

Pressure assist = water in the "tank" is actually stored in an inner tank under pressure derived from the home's plumbing. When you flush it, all hell breaks loose and the water is forced into the bowl and down the drain, etc., under pressure. They're VERY effective and VERY noisy.

Rough-in = distance from the center of the bowl outlet to the finished wall behind the toilet. Usually, also the distance from the toilet hold-down bolts to the finished wall.

If you think BUYING one is a pain in the butt, wait'll you have to use it if you've bought the WRONG one.

Last edited:

SteveW

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
I have a Crane pressure-assist. It IS loud but very effective at flushing and washing the bowl. As Mikey describes, the flushing action is pretty violent, which means that the contents of the bowl tend to get broken up pretty thoroughly, and also means that we need to do a 2nd flush pretty often for solids.

HoneySuckle

Reaction score
What are these? Pressure assist or gravity assist?

Toto Drake toilet, CST744S, CST743S
Toto Drake toilet CST744SL for Comfort ADA

This is the week I will pick out my first Toto toilet. I won't buy three right away because I want to test one first to see if I like it.

Thanks for the advice so far.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
inside_tank_cst744s.jpg

Those Toto toilets listed are what they call G-Max Gravity

A large 3" flapper combined with a rounded sweeping trapway.
It's like having a pressure assist, but without the startle factor.

Since it's a larger volumne of water, it clears the bowl easily.

pf2tank.gif

Unlike some pressure assist that have a small diameter high pressure jet of water, that stirs up the solids and paper, leaving bits behind.

Parts are easy to get and inexpensive.

Both Pressure assist and G-Max are in the 1.40 to 1.62 gallon range.

asuwish

Reaction score
HoneySuckle,

We just had an elongated toto supreme installed. It's low-flow and low profile and one piece. It flushes everything out with one flush including the wads of toilet paper my 6 year old tends to use occasionally. It's not a gmax and not pressure assisted (as far as I know). Tip of the day: the seat is most comfortable when you sit all the way back i.e. don't perch on the edge.

Attachments

• DSCF4877.jpg
    DSCF4877.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 394
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks