Neat New Leviton Load Center Design

Users who are viewing this thread

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
I don't know if this will take off and become the new "standard" for the industry, but the engineer in me really likes the concept of this https://www.leviton.com/en/products/residential/load-centers

Essentially, each breaker position is a combination AFCI and GFCI, and you wire both that branch's hot and neutral to their own, dedicated positions - there is no separate neutral bus bar and the connections go to the panel, not the breaker directly. The breaker makes the connection to both the hot and neutral when you plug it in. There are separate indicator lights that show the status of both the AFCI and GFCI portions of the device, so it's easy to identify both where and what caused the breaker to trip.

Saw this on 'This Olde House' recently. If I were to build a new house or needed a new panel, I seriously think I'd look into it a bit more carefully. Seems like a smart solution. No idea of the relative cost, but it does seem to make a very neat installation without the pigtails required of all 'conventional' breakers when GFCI or AFCI is involved.

Reach4

Reaction score
Square D calls that Plug-On Neutral as do Eaton and Siemens.
I expect others offer that too.

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
I happen to see that show last week. Makes for a neat install and not have to remove wires when changing a breaker that makes for a much safer environment. It may become standard someday but only if the cost is nearly the same as conventional load centers. When homes are being built the lowest cost item gets installed. However, with the latest NEC changes with nearly every circuit needing GFCI and AFCI, this new type of load center may become the new standard.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks