Navien Tankless Water Heater Comments and questions

Discussion in 'Tankless Water Heater Forum' started by willl, Dec 28, 2008.

1. WorldPeace

WorldPeace New Member

Hi, Queball,

I know this is an extremely old post but I was wondering how are supposed to remove the air purge vent on top of the recirculation pump. I'm assuming that it's screwed but I just wanted to confirm. I tried turning with all my might (I have freakishly small hands too) but I can't seem to get it to turn. It might be crusted shut from the lime. And I can't get a set of pliers nor angle a plumbers wrench in there.

I would hate to take that motherboard apart just to take out the pump.

Thanks for the help.

2. Reach4

Reach4 Well-Known Member

I don't know the water heater, so I cannot confirm that the plug unscrews.

You would be better to use a box wrench or a flare wrench than pliers or an adjustable wrench. A long wrench gives you mechanical advantage.

I presume you cannot use a socket wrench due to space limitations.

3. WorldPeace

WorldPeace New Member

They designed the unit perfectly. The vent is located in just a way so that no tool can get into position to grab onto it and twist. Queball mentioned in his post that he used his hands. He's right. No tools can reach and even with my freakishly small hands, it's extremely difficult. That's why I can't unscrew it off. I ame trying to twist is with my 2 fingertips on each side.

Really designed perfectly so that you need to take apart the unit to replace a simple part. =(

I guess there goes my morning.

4. Reach4

Reach4 Well-Known Member

How about a fairly close photo?

5. WorldPeace

WorldPeace New Member

Hi, Reach,

Sorry, I didn't know you responded. Otherwise, I would have responded back sooner!

Here is the picture.. The red circle is the size of what needs to be replaced. You notice it's behind a copper pipe..actually several pipes.

Any ideas?

Attached Files:

6. Reach4

Reach4 Well-Known Member

I was thinking you were just trying to remove a plug -- not a big assembly.

It looks like the pipe to the left of the red circle has unions.

7. WorldPeace

WorldPeace New Member

Looks like a pain in the butt, huh? Kind of dreading doing it. The part to be replaced is a large water pressure vent that's just screwed on. But, I can't get my hands in a position to turn it.

The other way is to remove the bottom pump which is connected to this vent. To do this, I would have to remove the control board (located to the right, beyond the picture's boundary), unscrew a couple of unions, and take out a couple of other parts. Just so I can turn a simple vent by hand or wrench.

Evidently, this vent gets clogged with lime and needs to be cleaned periodically. I guess the manufacturer's designer didn't anticipate that some Americans would have a hard water supply.

Great design!

8. QueBall

QueBall New Member

There are two styles of recirculation pumps depending on the age of your unit.

Older Pump with black cap has a metal wire retention clip you pull out to release the air purge valve and it pulls straight out. Be careful as it's easy to damage the O ring when replacing it. I suggest having a replacement on hand. This is the one I have.
    [​IMG]

Pump with Red cap are newer. I'm not even sure if this model needs to be removed for cleaning.
    [​IMG]

9. WorldPeace

WorldPeace New Member

Hi, Queball,

Thanks for the reply.

I couldn't figure out how to take out the vent. I called customer service and they told me what to turn but still couldn't take it out. So, I had to take apart the board the entire pump. I realize now that I was turning the correct part but it's literally impossible to turn it when the threads are encrusted with minerals. It doesn't turn very well. So, in my case, you need to take it out and turn that middle part with your hand.

Right now, I can't seem to get the pump back in. I slide the pump back into that inlet pipe but it doesn't seem to form enough of a seal so that I can slide that metal U clip in. I'm trying to figure out what to do right now.

10. QueBall

QueBall New Member

My grandpa had a saying.

Precision made and hammer fitted..