Navien NPE-240A2 External circulation question

Users who are viewing this thread

Essmith94

Reaction score
Just replaced a conventional WH with the Navien NPE-240A2. Our home has the return hot water line and we were running a recirculation pump. Here is my question. We do not have an external pump currently installed, just the internal recirc on the 240A2. Do I need to install an external pump to get closer to instant hot water, or can this be done with just the internal components on the 240A2 with the settings set to external? Currently it takes about 3-4 minutes to get hot water to our primary bathroom (furthest point from the Navien).

Breplum

Licensed plumbing contractor
Reaction score
The internal pump will handle exactly what the specs say, but where the recirc line runs to matters implicitly.
When properly run, i.e. to just below the fixtures desired to be served, then there is virtually no delay.
1664254461424.png

J0hn

Reaction score
Just replaced a conventional WH with the Navien NPE-240A2. Our home has the return hot water line and we were running a recirculation pump. Here is my question. We do not have an external pump currently installed, just the internal recirc on the 240A2. Do I need to install an external pump to get closer to instant hot water, or can this be done with just the internal components on the 240A2 with the settings set to external? Currently it takes about 3-4 minutes to get hot water to our primary bathroom (furthest point from the Navien).
You might of have seen my post about the 'hot button'

It takes just a little over 3 mins for the incoming water temp to come up to 120+ degrees on my 210A2 when the recirc pump is on. That's just the way it is. But you have a couple of choices in setting up the system. Always on, Intelligent, (tries to learn your habits and will run the pump when it thinks you need hot water), weekly (you set a schedule) or hot button. Always on is going to use the most natural gas and hot button is going to use the least.

I finally figured out how to get my hot button to work right - I had to set the 'distance to the furthest fixture' to 500' and 'disable the energy saver function' which is dip switch #2 on the the hot button module.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks