Navien NHB-150 LOOK!

Discussion in 'Tankless Water Heater Forum' started by plumber69, Dec 3, 2020.

1. plumber69

plumber69 In the Trades

Went and looked at this wall hung boiler. Lots of wires inside are cooked too. What would cause this

Attached Files:

2. fitter30

fitter30 Well-Known Member

Retired service tech
    Does the wiring insulation look melted or black and burnt? Melted something shorted out pulling enough amps on small wires to overheat them. Burnt isn't that burn hole in cover in line to burner sight glass?

3. Sponsor

Sponsor Paid Advertisement

4. plumber69

plumber69 In the Trades

Its in line with site glass, there are multiple spots where wires are burnt, and melted plastic

5. fitter30

Retired service tech
    Glass intact?

6. plumber69

plumber69 In the Trades

nope broken right off

7. fitter30

Retired service tech
    Burner either overfired , delayed ignition or burning really crappie ( just like the fish) making the glass fail.

8. plumber69

plumber69 In the Trades

Wouldn't there be error codes

9. TEch99

TEch99 New Member

10. Navien Inc

Navien Inc New Member

This post has come to Navien’s attention and we are interested in speaking with anyone that has experienced this issue. We realize this post was made a few months ago, but we would like to speak with anyone who had this to try and find out what caused this. If you are willing to speak to us, we would like to gather some information from you. We can have someone call you or your plumber. Please just let us know. Thank you.

11. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

Plumber
    I have no idea what happened above, but I have been running a Navien in my home for about eight years, and just installed one for my daughter last month. The only thing I have done with mine is clean out the incoming screen on the air intake two years ago. I'm on Woodinville city water which is pretty clean.

12. Navien Inc

Navien Inc New Member

Thanks, Terry! We’re glad to hear you’ve had a great experience with the product to continue using them elsewhere. Please feel free to reach out to us if you ever have any questions or concerns at productservice@navien.com. Thanks again.

13. TEch99

TEch99 New Member

Its strange you come here praising the forum owner but won't address the oil found in in your boiler, the issue with your boiler is not just a reliability issue but the high cost price by installers, the high maintenance fees and the high cost of repair once an installer finds out the home owner has a Navien. It is not a cost effective solution to have navien vs a conventional boiler . One will never recoup the upfront cost invested into these units, that's aside from other facts that plaque this product such as poor customer service. In my opinion your boilers are junk compared to a conventional chimney vented boiler, this factors in maintenance hours, installation cost, reliability, and price, all for an extra 10% of supposed energy savings. NOT WORTH IT.

14. TEch99

TEch99 New Member

And just because you did not experience the above does not mean there isn't an issue with these units. Hope this is a fair statement.

15. fitter30

Retired service tech
    Probably not it wouldn't be flame failure burner is running with delay ignition, flue temperature limit 230* for 10 seconds before it trips, if burner was burning dirty flue temperature is down and flame might be wiping the glass. Without tearing heater apart its only a guess.