Navien NCB-250/150H recirculating questions and tips?

Users who are viewing this thread

Djrandolfs12

Reaction score
Hey guys I’m new here so sorry if the post was posted somewhere already. Me and my fiancé recently just did a gas conversion from oil heat and install an Navien NCB-250/150H combination tankless water heater gas boiler. Our electric price has almost double in price (unconfirmed if this is the true reason of the increase) and I’m trying to reduce costs. Granted our old boiler was terrible and original to the house… in any case i was messing around with a few settings, im not sure what these things within them do;

I have an option to pick “recirculation type” with 3 options: no recirculation | combi pre heat | external
By default the plumbers who did the job had it set to combi pre heat. What do you guys think here? I’m thinking I’ll leave it.

In tandem with that another option to pick “combi pre heat” with 3 options: always on | intelligent | weekly. I don’t know what this does either.

If someone knowledgeable could please give me some info on this I’d really appreciate it! In addition if you have any other power/fuel saving tips I’m all ears to that as well!

It should be noted I’ve already reduced the temperature of both space heating and DHW to reduce costs.

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
Are you worried about running the fan and pump? How much electricity do you think it saves to switch the recirculating settings? My educated guess would be very little.

The intelligent setting learns your habits and recirculates based on that. I wouldn't want mine that way but some would. I would want mine always on.

Djrandolfs12

Reaction score
Are you worried about running the fan and pump? How much electricity do you think it saves to switch the recirculating settings? My educated guess would be very little.

The intelligent setting learns your habits and recirculates based on that. I wouldn't want mine that way but some would. I would want mine always on.
I wouldn’t really say I’m worried I’m just reaching out on here to see if there are any ways to reduce energy costs that can be a simple change of parameter or something along those lines I lack knowledge of.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks