Navien Internal Circulation Pump Pipe Noise

Users who are viewing this thread

TheBigYahi

Reaction score
I have an NPE-240A that was installed two weeks ago. I have it set for internal intelligent recirculation mode and I've experienced a significant amount of noise being transmitted through my cold water inlet pipe (3/4" copper), but only during recirculation, not normal operation. I can hear this noise two floors away.
  1. I put the unit into pump test mode (Diagnostics for 5 seconds, select pump, press i) and observed the noise occurs. To me this confirms it's the recirc function, not the rest of the heating functions. Also, observationally it's whisper quiet when running.
  2. I confirmed there was no air trapped in the pump by opening the red cap (I heard it when it first ran so I'm pretty sure I know what air in the pump sounds like).
  3. I closed the cold water inlet valve while the pump was running and I observed that the noise went away. The pump is quite quiet when running.
  4. I loosened the pipe hangers to confirm it wasn't radiating through the structure.
  5. I confirmed both filters are clean and the internal check valve moves freely.
  6. I installed an inline check valve on the cold water inlet hoping to replicate the closed water inlet valve, but the noise continues.
  7. I called Level 2 support and they were quite helpful but ultimately asked me to turn my water pressure down 20 psi and try it for a day. I confirmed that turning the pressure down does not improve the noise.
Any ideas how to move forward with this? I'm 90% certain there's no problem with the unit, and if so what can I do to minimize noise transmission in my pipes?

Breplum

Licensed plumbing contractor
Reaction score
I would want to know more about the recirculation piping.
I've got dozens of NPE -A installed with dedicated recir. and cannot imagine why you are hearing anything on the cold water piping.
The recirculation piping is only related to the hot and recirc taps, with the exception of the internal check valve.
Adding an external check valve further isolated the cold flow.
So, I'm definitely as puzzled as you are.

TheBigYahi

Reaction score
To answer your question...it's entirely internal! There is no dedicated recirc line nor am I using a NaviCirc. The INT/EXT valve is set to INT and dip switches 1 and 2 are ON (Internal, Intelligent). Possibly I've got a bum pump, but the Level 2 rep asked for the GPM in test mode (4.4 GPM) and declared it working perfectly.

TheBigYahi

Reaction score
Update: I installed sound isolating pipe hangers and no improvement. Support is sending me a new pump to try.

JC11

Reaction score
Update: I installed sound isolating pipe hangers and no improvement. Support is sending me a new pump to try.

Did the new pump fix things for you or does the problem still exist?

I have the same problem on a NPE-240A and I've tried most of the same steps multiple times, although I have not installed a check valve. The only difference is that I do have an external recirculation loop -- probably 40 ft of 3/4 pex. All lines are 3/4 pex and water pressure is 35-55 psi. Getting the inlet temperature back up after hot water demand stops causes the recirc pump to transmit quite a bit of noise into the cold water line. The recirc line itself generates no noise/vibration.

Thanks for any help.

bingow

Reaction score
Did the new pump fix things for you or does the problem still exist?

I have the same problem on a NPE-240A and I've tried most of the same steps multiple times...

New NPE-240A here, also operating in the Intelligent Recirculation mode, which produces an audible but muffled thumping noise during the day, then shuts down at night as it should. We have ¾" PEX, all isolated to one corner of the house (about ¼ the house volume). The unit, installed by our long-time plumber, is screwed to a ⅝" piece of plywood, which is in turn lag screwed to two sheetrocked wall studs, all in a small utility closet on our ground floor (two story house). I suspect the noise is mostly transmitted through the internal framing, not the PEX. I'm inclined to live with it, rather than experiment with remounting. We'll see how accustomed we can become.

But I was curious if the two above posters used a similar (stud) mounting, instead of, say, brick or concrete basement wall?

Havanese

In the Trades
Reaction score
Similar problem with pump noise....I just installed a new new NPE 240 2A water heater and the internal recirc pump makes almost cavitation noises. It is using an external recirc line and there are no obstructions to flow. I have changed out the recirc pump, bled the pump and the noise is still there. Any recommendations would be appreciated.

Thanks a bunch,

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks