Navien heavy knocking

Users who are viewing this thread

guido

Reaction score
Starts at 40 seconds in:

Navien tankless 240
Heat circulation on

It's a new sound, we've had this tankless since 2016. Was inspected a year ago.

When I look at which pipe is making the most vibrations, it's a black pipe on the right side of the unit.

Should I turn the unit off immediately and have it inspected by a pro?

edit: the pipe that is knocking is connected to the expansion vat and the unit on the right hand side

Last edited:

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
Shut it down and check the expansion tank. Maybe full of water whereby the bladder failed or air leaked out on the other side of the bladder.

guido

Reaction score
Made a video of me knocking on it:
It also shows I've had a lot of leaking from the exhaust pipe. Not sure how to deal with it besides a towel on top of the unit

guido

Reaction score
I think I found the real issue. Later I went upstairs and the toilet was making a stuttering sound too. I turned it off at the wall valve and since then it's been quiet. I replaced that toilets insides like 6 months ago, but apparently something is wrong with it now. Figured that out after I'm on hold with the plumbing company for 30 minutes of course.

Houptee

Reaction score
I would still check and clean the filter screen in the top of the unit they get all clogged up I had one causing problems and cleaning that screen filter resolved the issue with the Navien.
Also some Navien models have a trap for the condensation water that has to be cleaned periodically. Look under the unit for a plastic fitting with a metal wire clip you pull out. Then drop the plastic cap off and catch the dirty water in a bucket.
Both of those are basic maintenance on the unit so you should do it twice a year.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks