Navien CH180 Error Code Questions

Users who are viewing this thread

Fleighe

Reaction score
I have a Navien CH180 that has been nothing but trouble since buying my house. It has been throwing 48e and 03e errors pretty regularly, and my local repair guy finally replaced my regulators and turned up the gas flow a little, and that has stopped. It has been 4 days since he did that repair, and 2 of the 4 mornings, I have woken up to no heat and a 15e error. Once I reset the unit it fires right up and works all day. Apparently 15e is for an "abnormal control board", and the manual just says to check the emergency switch but gives no detail as to where this switch is. Any advice? If it's a simple switch that needs flipping or something, I'd rather avoid another expensive service call.

Fitter30

Reaction score
Last edited:

Fleighe

Reaction score
Navian may have good customer service, but if you are not a certified installer they won't even give you the time of day. I called them to find out what the 48e error was as the manual only shows up to 40e, and they wouldn't even tell me what the code meant.

It seems we have fixed the 03e and 48e errors, they used to occur when using hot water while the heat was on and the whole unit would shut down. Now that that is fixed, I am getting this 15e.

The repair tech said when he was opening the case, he heard electricity arcing and it was the igniter ground shorting on the gas tube, which it had been ziptied to. He couldn't find and breaks in the wire insulation, so he just moved the wire over so it was not near the gas tube. I'm assuming that has something to do with the new error.

Jac04

Reaction score
I recall reading about the CH units having questionable grounds. Back before my CH180 finally bit the dust, I know that I had cleaned the paint from around the casing ground screw locations. I'm not sure it will solve your problem, but it certainly won't hurt.

Fleighe

Reaction score
So, few months later and the boiler is back to it's old self. Turn on the hot water at any source, and more than half the time, it shuts off showing either 03e or 48e. If you reset the system, it will sometimes fire up for about 5 minutes, sometimes wait about 2 minutes and just throw a code again. I am so tired of throwing money at repairmen who can't find the problem. I just don't know what to do with it anymore. I don't think it is truly low lp pressure because the only other thing in my house that uses it is the stove and oven, and that is never on when this happens. The tech has measured lp pressure at least twice and it is within spec. Replaced both regulators. Pulling my hair out...in a cold shower.

Jac04

Reaction score
These CH units are super sensitive to gas pressure. The tech needs to measure 'dynamic' gas pressure with the unit firing, not just static pressure. Also check the small rubber hose connections for the pressure sensors - I remember some of mine being loose.

hyperman

Reaction score
So, few months later and the boiler is back to it's old self. Turn on the hot water at any source, and more than half the time, it shuts off showing either 03e or 48e. If you reset the system, it will sometimes fire up for about 5 minutes, sometimes wait about 2 minutes and just throw a code again. I am so tired of throwing money at repairmen who can't find the problem. I just don't know what to do with it anymore. I don't think it is truly low lp pressure because the only other thing in my house that uses it is the stove and oven, and that is never on when this happens. The tech has measured lp pressure at least twice and it is within spec. Replaced both regulators. Pulling my hair out...in a cold shower.

hyperman

Reaction score
Hi Fleighe, did you ever solve your Navien 48e code error? My system runs sometimes for 20 minutes and then shuts off

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks