Navien 240 with no pressure reducing valve?

Users who are viewing this thread

TanklessTommy

Reaction score
I have a Navien 240 boiler/hot water combo from which I heat 2 zones (radiant heat on one floor, baseboards on the other). It was installed after Hurricane Sandy by a plumber who has since lost his license. I have been told by several people over the years that the unit was installed with major errors. I've also had nothing but problems with it (constantly shutting down due to error codes, a ton of air in the unit etc). With the cold snap currently in the northeast it has gotten worse. It shut off in the middle of the night and by the time I was awoken by the cold, all of my pipes in the crawl space had frozen (the pipes are heated by a length of slant fin in the crawl space controlled by the second floor thermostat). The plumber I had in today was horrified by:
IMG_1938.JPG IMG_1941.JPG
  • The unit has no pressure reducing valve (there are pressure issues and the unit constantly throws the pressure relief valve
  • The unit does not have a dedicated line. It is fed only off the auto feed
Am I missing something? Does the Navien not need a PRV? I really have a tough time accepting the fact that a licensed plumber would do this to a homeowner, especially truing to recover after Sandy

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks