Navien 240 recirc

Users who are viewing this thread

SoCalDave

Reaction score
Hi all,

I recently had a recirc loop installed for my Navien 240a. There is an issue with water getting back to the pump, which may be a problem with the check valve...they are coming back to replace the check valve.

But I was thinking...does the recirc loop need a service port like the hot and cold lines have? Is there ever a time I would need to flush the recirc loop? I figure if it's necessary, I can have them install it when they are back to replace the check valve.

Thanks,
David

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
Hi all,

I recently had a recirc loop installed for my Navien 240a. There is an issue with water getting back to the pump, which may be a problem with the check valve...they are coming back to replace the check valve.

But I was thinking...does the recirc loop need a service port like the hot and cold lines have? Is there ever a time I would need to flush the recirc loop? I figure if it's necessary, I can have them install it when they are back to replace the check valve.

Thanks,
David
Service, not really. Thre check valve itself should be a serviceable type. One thing that should be in place is a way to bleed the air from the recirc line. You need to be able to steer water through the recirc line and nowhere else to bleed all the air out prior to starting. Or else it can be very hard to get it started without issues.

SoCalDave

Reaction score
Service, not really. The check valve itself should be a serviceable type. One thing that should be in place is a way to bleed the air from the recirc line.
Thank you @John Gayewski ! The check valve they used is not a serviceable type...since they have to replace it anyway, which type do you suggest?

And what do you suggest they install to bleed air? They are coming back out, so I will have them do both together.

Thanks so much!!

-David

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
Most times on smaller valves they just get replaced because it's just about as easy for us to do that as fix them. Plus when you fix them there's more of a possibility to get a call back. The pretty sure you can get a rebuild kit for this https://www.zoro.com/milwaukee-valv...Zu130XRz5Ss9PuW0b0m1oa2JW1H-khoRoCvUQQAvD_BwE

But I've never tried.

Thre recirc line just needs to be able to be purged. They should know how to do this.

Fitter30

Reaction score
Intelligent Preheating might take up to two weeks to learn. Are the switches 1-2-3 all are on posistion. Also with pump running look at the rate.

Breplum

Licensed plumbing contractor
Reaction score
The A series does not need an external check valve for recirculation because the unit has one built in.
The lever inside must be set to EXT as per the instructions and settings set for external recirc of course.
The internal check valve is so easy to replace it can be done with my eyes closed...b/c it has been a poorly designed part that needs replacement (at least from past models) way-often/frequently.
We like to have a shut off and then flex into the recirc port as a matter of simplicity.
Because of the built in check valve there is nothing done re descaling process. Just follow the manual. The loop doesn't build up any more than the hot supply.

SoCalDave

Reaction score
Thank you, @breplum ! Are you saying I should have them remove the external check valve altogether?

Does it still need the purge valve as John suggested above?

Breplum

Licensed plumbing contractor
Reaction score
Navien has an internal automatic air bleeder on top of the internal pump on "A" and A2 series. They self purge when you open a hot tap and run the pump, so NO additional purge device needed.
A check valve on cold water supply is now (only just now looked) shown in the installation illustration for the A2s, along with an expansion tank. That check valve used to be labeled "optional" on the A series books. It is now officially "required" (as per Navien factory tech confirmation on the phone).
However, there IS a still a check valve built in an they have upgraded the materials so, maybe they won't fail fast any more.

SoCalDave

Reaction score
OK, so adding a check valve to the recirc line won't cause problems (unless the check valve is bad), correct?

My plumber is going to come and change the external check valve and see if that fixes the problem. They are using an IN-LINE check valve - is that type of valve OK for this application?

Thanks!

Rudy_rdz1986

Reaction score
The A series does not need an external check valve for recirculation because the unit has one built in.
The lever inside must be set to EXT as per the instructions and settings set for external recirc of course.
The internal check valve is so easy to replace it can be done with my eyes closed...b/c it has been a poorly designed part that needs replacement (at least from past models) way-often/frequently.
We like to have a shut off and then flex into the recirc port as a matter of simplicity.
Because of the built in check valve there is nothing done re descaling process. Just follow the manual. The loop doesn't build up any more than the hot supply.
Does a taco hot link valve work for this application if installed under the sink ?
Or does it have to be a navien navicirc ?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks