Navicirc squeal sound?

Users who are viewing this thread

Ben F

Reaction score
Recently had a navien tankless NPE 240a installed. Also got two navicirc one for each bathroom and set up external recirculation through the cold water line. At the end of a recirculation cycle (can hear the water flow + clicks for the navicircs) one of the navicircs (the one in the master) makes a squealing sound. I tested multiple situations and it seems to be related to the navicirc in the master itself.

Worried something will go wrong. Please help :)

Ben F

Reaction score
Unfortunately, as a home owner they weren’t willing to talk to me. I returned the navicirc to where I got it from and got a different one, squeal gone, but now it seems like the other navicirc is making a squeal, which leads me to think this is about air in the pipes somewhere.. how might I go about burping my plumbing system?

Cory Johnson

Reaction score
I have this same issue...although I only have one installed. It almost sounds like the dog sometimes. Would love to know how to fix this!

Bif Hunkly

Reaction score
We have one the 240a and one NaviCirc installed on the other side of our home. The other day, I woke up because I heard a "Whoop" sound - sounded like a police car was pulling somebody over. The sound seems to be coming from the NaviCirc. You'll hear it circulating water and after it stops, you hear a "Whoop" nearby in the pipes. Anybody figure this out yet? I've read other people saying that they hear a "whoop" noise and find out it's a pressure valve issue. Seeing as how the NaviCirc is a valve, and the noise seems to be coming from the location it's installed, I'm pretty sure it's the culprit. I installed mine in October of this year and the noise just started in the last week or two.
Anybody have any luck contacting Navien?

Digfam

Reaction score
We have one the 240a and one NaviCirc installed on the other side of our home. The other day, I woke up because I heard a "Whoop" sound - sounded like a police car was pulling somebody over. The sound seems to be coming from the NaviCirc. You'll hear it circulating water and after it stops, you hear a "Whoop" nearby in the pipes. Anybody figure this out yet? I've read other people saying that they hear a "whoop" noise and find out it's a pressure valve issue. Seeing as how the NaviCirc is a valve, and the noise seems to be coming from the location it's installed, I'm pretty sure it's the culprit. I installed mine in October of this year and the noise just started in the last week or two.
Anybody have any luck contacting Navien?
I know this post is old, but curious if anyone had any luck and what fixed it. I had an installer put in an Navien tankless in April of 2021 with a navi circ in the MBR (2nd floor). At some point after the install I started hearing this squeal noise when the navi circ closed. Installer thought maybe it needed an expansion tank, so he came back and installed, ST-1 small expansion unit in the basement near the tankless. This has not helped. Navien said maybe install the tank closer to the navi circ but suggested installer call them. Recently starting thinking that maybe its the navi circ that is bad ? Should I just push for a replacement or do I need a larger expansion tank, or one closer to the navi circ. The amount of pipe from the navi circ to the tankless is probably 70ft.

thanks
Bill

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
Since someone above fixed it by replacing the navicirc I'm guessing it's a systemic problem with those units.

CG ANderson

Reaction score
I came here to see about this issue and here it is! My Navicirc started the "whoooooP!" sound about two months ago. And it seemed to coincide with the schedule we set in Navilink. Starting about 0400AM, it would be so loud as to awaken me from my slumber. It seems to be getting worse. As a thought, I turned off scheduling. Now, of course, it does this all the time! Apart from simply replacing it (it's not that old but more than a year), I thought about simply turning recirculation off on the main 240. I don't like the Nacicirc anyway because due to the odd plumbing, it only helps the sink it is installed under not the whole bathroom. All it's really good for is ensuring lukewarm water from the cold tap when you want a cold drink of water. CG

sdbg

Reaction score
I came here to see about this issue and here it is! My Navicirc started the "whoooooP!" sound about two months ago. And it seemed to coincide with the schedule we set in Navilink. Starting about 0400AM, it would be so loud as to awaken me from my slumber. It seems to be getting worse. As a thought, I turned off scheduling. Now, of course, it does this all the time! Apart from simply replacing it (it's not that old but more than a year), I thought about simply turning recirculation off on the main 240. I don't like the Nacicirc anyway because due to the odd plumbing, it only helps the sink it is installed under not the whole bathroom. All it's really good for is ensuring lukewarm water from the cold tap when you want a cold drink of water. CG
Did you ever find a fix for the "whoop" sound?

Fitter30

Reaction score
Would think its a valve closing in the unit. Might have something to do with hi pressure or defective valve. Try closing the hot water valve off at a fixture slowly.
Ball valve half closed will flow 90% of water close the supply down and watch the gpm. See what happens to the noise.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks