Natural gas water heater - backdrafting

Users who are viewing this thread

Mke_Nate

Reaction score
While tidying up in my basement, I noticed some of the plastic plugs on top of my natural gas water heater showed signs of heat deformation. This problem seems to have appeared since we spent time on air sealing, insulating, and making other energy efficiency changes.

IMG_3944.JPG

Looking around, I discovered our house (built in 1929) does not have a make-up air inlet. I plan to remedy this shortly.

The water heater's exhaust passes through a couple of bends and finds its way into the lined chimney. Beyond adding the make-up air vent, is there anything I should change with the flue pipe on this installation? It appears the water heater was, at one time, electric and that this unit was a replacement some time ago.

Thanks again,

Nate

IMG_3945.JPG
IMG_3946.JPG

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
If you could get the run shorter by moving the heater or perhaps take one of the bends out of it and have it run straight into the chimney that is about all you can do to the vent to make it better.

It appears you have a large enough space are you sure you need an inlet.

Mke_Nate

Reaction score
If you could get the run shorter by moving the heater or perhaps take one of the bends out of it and have it run straight into the chimney that is about all you can do to the vent to make it better.

It appears you have a large enough space are you sure you need an inlet.
Thanks John, that is helpful advice. I'll try first to straighten out the run and shorten to the extent that I can.

Reach4

Reaction score
I would lay a piece of steel over that plug to spread the heat out.

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
We had a similar event at a clients. Turned out that the aluminum chimney liner had oxidized so much that the aluminum oxide dust had completely plugged the liner at the base where it turned out of the chimney.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks