Natural Gas Line Extension Clogged?

Users who are viewing this thread

yehudi

Reaction score
Happy Thanksgiving folks.

My plumber extended our gas line from our water heater to our kitchen. BUT there's no gas in the kitchen valve. I don't know if they checked to see if they have any pressure or gas supply when they finished last week, but my stove has arrived and I get nothing.

The pipes are black iron under the pier/beam house. He added a T where there was previously an right angle below our water heater. From there, it travels about 12 feet (with a dogleg and right turn upwards and another right angle at floor level-5 joints in all).

The manual valve at the kitchen opens and I can see that functions.

I inserted a pencil through the valve and it came back with some dope on it.

My theory is that he was very "liberal" with the pipe dope and it clogged one of the joints. But it's just a theory.

Can you gents and ladies tell me exactly what I need to ask Mr Plumber when he visits tomorrow?

Do I need to test the pressure? Do we have to take every joint apart? Is there some half-a55 method I need to make sure we don't follow?

Many thanks.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Are you sure it's connected on both ends.

Sometimes they put a section in, test with air, inspect it, and then connect to the main gas line.

He may not be done.

Rmelo99

Network Engineer
Reaction score
It has been my experience that new line/extensions sometime take a bit to get the gas to the appliance because of the low pressure of gas.

Before connecting an appliance I usually open the valve and let a small amound of gas out to confirm it is getting there. I usually do the nose to the valve test and only let out a VERY small amount. Close the valve and wait for any gas you let out to dissipate. Then connect up the stove and check for leaks at each connection using soapy water or gas leak tester.

It wouldn't hurt confirming what Terry said and make sure the end of the pipe are acually connected to the gas source. I would also check for another shut off valve inbetween.

You didn't mention the size of the pipe but given it's for a range I doubt it's less than 3/4". If so then it would sure take a lot of pipe dope to clog that up! Just my opinion, I don't know if thats something common, I've never run into it.

Happy holidays, hope you aren't on turkey duty with no OVEN! :-0

yehudi

Reaction score
Terry, it is connected at both ends. He thought he was done.

Rmelo99, the range hadn't arrived when he was here so we didn't test it out. I didn't notice if he did a "nose test". And I agree that it would take a LOT of dope to clog it, but I can't think of another explanation.

I appreciate you guys commenting on Turkey Day. Luckily, my in-laws are hosting this afternoon!

So....Any other clues for this mystery? And what do I need to ask him?

Rmelo99

Network Engineer
Reaction score
Well if he's coming back tomorrow he should be able to get you in business, it sounds like a pretty straight forward extension.

It it is something like dope clogging the line then an air compressor shouldbe able to blow out any clogs. Only gotcha is that you must do that with that section of piping disconnected from the rest of the piping. Can't apply pressure to an active gas line,the other appliances including the meter can't take the excess pressure and could be damaged.

If he's legit then he will know that.

If you can easily get to the valve you can open it and check for the smell of gas by opening it. I would imagine even with a potential clog there would be a faint odor of gas at the valve.

People usually have a problem getting the piping leak tite, so I don't think some dope would do a 100% job on it's own!

Shacko

Master Plumber-Gas Fitter
Reaction score
No Gas

My plumber extended our gas line from our water heater to our kitchen. BUT there's no gas in the kitchen valve. I don't know if they checked to see if they have any pressure or gas supply when they finished last week, but my stove has arrived and I get nothing.

The pipes are black iron under the pier/beam house. He added a T where there was previously an right angle below our water heater. From there, it travels about 12 feet (with a dogleg and right turn upwards and another right angle at floor level-5 joints in all).

My theory is that he was very "liberal" with the pipe dope and it clogged one of the joints. But it's just a theory.

Can you gents and ladies tell me exactly what I need to ask Mr Plumber when he visits tomorrow?

Do I need to test the pressure? Do we have to take every joint apart? Is there some half-a55 method I need to make sure we don't follow?

Many thanks.

1: I have some criticisms, he tied into the water heater line without confirming that it was large enough for the additional load.

2: He didn't test the line, he would need the gas on or a pump to confirm that there were no leaks.

3: You didn't indicate that you removed a nipple and cap at the stove, he should have checked for flow and capped the valve off when he was done.

4: You say that he added a tee for a ell that was at the bottom of the water heater?, if that was the feed for the WH and the heater is turned off you won't have any gas, ever time you turn off the heater you will also turn off the stove, just a thought.

yehudi

Reaction score
Shacko,

Thanks. You're mostly right, but I might have been unclear on some points.

1) He tied into a 3/4" main line at the pont which it turns upward to the heater. It's the only gas item on the part of the house. I think we may be OK on this point.
2) Correct
3) Correct
4) The heater's manual turnoff is on the other side of the joint.

Points 2&3 are what worry me. I think, despite great referrals, this dude may not be entirely on the ball.

Shacko

Master Plumber-Gas Fitter
Reaction score
Might be terminology, but the way I read your post is the water heater valve is before the kitchen take-off? if thats so its controlling the stove. What you need to do is to make sure the heater valve is on and if you have gas at the stove thats the prob.? :confused:

Doherty Plumbing

Journeyman & Gas Fitter
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com

Many thanks.

Is the gas valve on the appliance turned on?

yehudi

Reaction score
Shacko, Sorry if I was unclear. The water heater valve is after the T intersection and does not impact the stove supply.

Doherty, I didn't leave the valve open, but I have opened and closed it and even been able to peer into the pipe. Somehow the problem lies further upstream.

I'll check back in this weekend to tell you guys what happened. With my luck, it'll be something really bizarre.

Doherty Plumbing

Journeyman & Gas Fitter
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Oh so your stove isn't hooked up and you have a valve open at one end that you can look into the gas line directly?

If this is true and you have no gas my guess is you run out of hot water soon because the gas fitter left the main valve shut off at the meter.

:cool:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
gas

There is NO way to apply enough dope to clog the pipe, unless it was done intentionally, which would be self-defeating, because he would then have to come back and undo it. But then nothing else about your description of the problem makes sense either. I ALWAYS open the valve after installing a gas line in order to vent the trapped air out of the line, therfore I know it is working. ALL you have to know, and tell him, is that there is NO gas at the stove, period.

yehudi

Reaction score
Case closed... I turns out there was a big bunch of dirt/mud clogging one of the pipes. Had to take it apart, clean,etc... So, no, he apparently never tested the line. Not calling this guy again.

Thanks for your help.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
gas

He also must not have been very careful with his pipes, because they should NEVER be clogged with mud and dirt. The only time I have had that happen is when I use the pipe to drive a hole under concrete or something similar. But, then I know it is plugged up and either clean it out, or toss the pipe away.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks