Natural Gas leak outside of house

Users who are viewing this thread

Eric Wininger

Reaction score
During a free energy audit in NJ by the gas company they detected a "small" gas leak in the gas line about 2 feet after the meter but outside of the house (at a joint). The auditor called the gas company that sent a second truck that tightened the connection but said there is still a "very small" leak. I certainly can't smell any gas. He left it alone and arranged for a repair in one week through the gas company at no charge. He also said they will raise the meter as the shut-off valve is covered in mulch. He just wanted me to trim the bushes to improve access. Questions:
  1. Is this standard procedure for the gas company to fix outdoor leaks after the meter? I thought this was the homeowners responsibility?
  2. Why didn't he shut off the gas to the house? I'm certainly not looking for this as I don't like cold showers, but I am curious.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
They sound nice. I would have thought it would be on your dime.
You can't smell the gas, and it's outside. He had the gas dectector on the truck. He thought it was okay.

Plumber69

In the Trades
Reaction score
small gas leaks are harmless. Unless there is a build up and the right air mixure... nothing will happen. Im sure theres thousands of small gas leaks at the meter everywhere.

Eric Wininger

Reaction score
Gas company was no-show for fixing the "very small" outdoor leak after the meter and for raising the partially mulch covered meter. I theorize if they raised the meter it would be placed past the leaking joint, hence the natural gas company would cover the repair? Of note, I don't smell any natural gas. Should I:
  1. Call gas company customer service and try again to have someone come to raise the meter and fix this leak?
  2. Or call natural gas plumber?
  3. Or call regular plumber?
  4. Or call 800-Gas-Leak and have them check again? Again, I don't smell anything.

Dana

In the trades
Reaction score
Start with #1.

Going with #2 will cost you.

Going with #3 may even be illegal- many states require gas-fitter certification for anyone working on gas plumbing.

Don't bother with #4 unless you can't get resolution trying #1 after a couple more tries.

sajesak

Reaction score
During a free energy audit in NJ by the gas company they detected a "small" gas leak in the gas line about 2 feet after the meter but outside of the house (at a joint). The auditor called the gas company that sent a second truck that tightened the connection but said there is still a "very small" leak. I certainly can't smell any gas. He left it alone and arranged for a repair in one week through the gas company at no charge. He also said they will raise the meter as the shut-off valve is covered in mulch. He just wanted me to trim the bushes to improve access. Questions:
  1. Is this standard procedure for the Gas leak repair company to fix outdoor leaks after the meter? I thought this was the homeowners responsibility?
  2. Why didn't he shut off the gas to the house? I'm certainly not looking for this as I don't like cold showers, but I am curious.
i have a small natural gas leak in the basemant. i found the source, but its so little you barely notice it. instead of shutting off the gas and tearing apart the pipes and joints, is their any product or sealant i could use to seal the leak. it right at a joint were the pipe goes into a fitting. HELP!

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
i have a small natural gas leak in the basemant. i found the source, but its so little you barely notice it. instead of shutting off the gas and tearing apart the pipes and joints, is their any product or sealant i could use to seal the leak. it right at a joint were the pipe goes into a fitting. HELP!
How far into the middle of the system is that joint? How many fittings would you need to tear apart to fix?

A plumber using mega press could cut the pipe in the middle next to the leak, remove, seal and tighten the small bit thats leaking, then press a repair coupling in without having to disturb the whole thing..

Or the same could be done with a repair L/R nipple and re threading a section of pipe

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks