Natural Gas grill in garage?

Users who are viewing this thread

John MI

Reaction score
I would like to run a natural gas line from basement to attached garage. Does Michigan code allow this?
The grill comes with a ten foot hose with a quick disconnect fitting.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
A natural gas fire grill MIGHT be considered similar to a gas fired stove. Some are rated for flammable surface contact. But, they tend to produce a LOT of smoke, depending on what you're cooking, so that could easily be problematic. I've never looked into this, but you probably will have issues both in operation and code. Somebody may know, so don't give up hope yet. At the least, you'd want a really good exhaust fan to clear the smoke from the garage. Some of the smoke will contain grease, and that will deposit on surfaces, making for a potential fire hazard if you don't install a good hood.

John MI

Reaction score
A natural gas fire grill MIGHT be considered similar to a gas fired stove. Some are rated for flammable surface contact. But, they tend to produce a LOT of smoke, depending on what you're cooking, so that could easily be problematic. I've never looked into this, but you probably will have issues both in operation and code. Somebody may know, so don't give up hope yet. At the least, you'd want a really good exhaust fan to clear the smoke from the garage. Some of the smoke will contain grease, and that will deposit on surfaces, making for a potential fire hazard if you don't install a good hood.

I cook in the garage year round now with my propane grill. I leave the doors open so no problem with smoke. This is the one I have in mind.
Thanks for your response. upload_2017-9-28_13-10-21.jpeg

Jadnashua

Reaction score
No idea on that one, but one I have is from

https://tecinfrared.com/

They're not cheap, but IMHO, they really do work well. I do not have any financial arrangements with them, and get no remuneration or consideration from them. I love mine. I bought mine configured for natural gas. They are built to last a very long time.

Jadnashua

Reaction score
jadnashua, do you use yours in the garage?
No.

A properly setup burner on a grill shouldn't produce more CO than a gas stove. Now, how many are properly setup, that is a critical question.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
I have exactly the same grill as you pictured. I not use it in the garage, but in a covered breeze way. I do get so smoke cooking some things. Not a very good answer to you question.

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
I would at least place a carbon monoxide sensor in the garage and a second one just inside the entry door to the home. I'm sure everyone has done it at least one time. Walk away from the grill and the next time you go to use it you realize that you forget to turn off the burners and the tank is empty. With natural gas it'll never run out of gas. Walk away and close the garage door and that will really ruin your day.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks