Natural gas and multiple appliances

Users who are viewing this thread

caseymx

Reaction score
Hi all.
I have been bouncing all over the internet and local knowledge base and have landed here with hope of at least some direction.
I have a very small rv park. I recently installed a small building with the intentions of using it as a washateria. I have purchased 3 washers and 3 gas dryers along with an on demand gas water heater. I have all of the specs on the equipment and piping that I have installed but cannot get answers on pressures and regulators. So this is what I now have so far.
The utility company has put me a commercial gas meter that has a 1" line running to my building. I was told by them that I am being supplied with 5 psi of pressure.
Going into the building, I have a 1" tee. One side reduces to 1/2" and is piped 10' away to the water heater.
The other side of the tee is reduced to 1/2" also and runs about 6' to the first 1/2" tee for the first dryer. The second tee is 2' away to the second dryer and the last dryer connection is another 2' away.
The water heater specs are:
.3 psi NG
111.903 BTU

The dryers' specs are each:
20,000 BTU/HR

From what I have gathered so far is that I may need a main regulator at the building entrance and then one for each appliance. Is this correct? And what size and/or type of regulators do I use?

Thanks

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 776
Last edited:

DonL

Jack of all trades Master of one
Reaction score
From what I have gathered so far is that I may need a main regulator at the building entrance and then one for each appliance. Is this correct? And what size and/or type of regulators do I use?

Thanks

Welcome to Terry's Forums.

Yes that is correct. You would know that if you knew what you are doing, and the appliances you are working with.

You should ask the inspector about your plans, Before you Blow the place and You up.

Sorry I can be a Ass at times, But I do not like people to get hurt, when they can avoid it.

Good Luck on your project.

caseymx

Reaction score
Well the inspectors are clueless, which is why I am here. I was hoping to get an answer from someone on here because it looks as if there are a lot of people that do know what they are doing.
But, as in the instance of the last comment, I was wrong about that conclusion and may have to look elsewhere

DonL

Reaction score
Well the inspectors are clueless, which is why I am here. I was hoping to get an answer from someone on here because it looks as if there are a lot of people that do know what they are doing.
But, as in the instance of the last comment, I was wrong about that conclusion and may have to look elsewhere

No need to run off.

But I think you will get the Truth from most Pros here.

Your Inspector must have his/her head up their ass. And will Pass anything, because he/she can not see anything.

Good Luck.

Last edited:

DonL

Reaction score
Look into Branching.

You need to have the feeder larger than any branch.

You do not branch like you plan then expect your undersized branch to work, that looks like what you have in your drawing.

You can blow yourself up with no inspector.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
A novice working with gas is inviting disaster. You can work with water and screw up and the worst that can happen is a flood. F**k up with gas and you can blow yourself into the next world. Hire a licensed plumber that can do this job right.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
IF you have 5 psi, (2 psi is usually the highest the company would supply for you purposes), Your piping is adequate IF you use a "pounds to ounces" regulator at EVERY appliance, and none at the entrance to the building. IF you have 7" of pressure your dryer piping is too small, and will be even if you just have a regulator where the line enters the building. YOU should not be doing this, and the plumber you DO hire should know what to do, or he is also the wrong person to hire.

caseymx

Reaction score
So, in my home right now, I have a gas cooktop, water heater, furnace, dryer and standby whole home, natural gas generator (that I myself 100% installed). When I added the generator a few years ago, all I had the utility company do is up size my meter. Why don't I have "pounds to ounces" regulators at all of these appliances?
I'm nowhere ignorant to flow and pressure and have been doing instrument and electrical work in chemical plants and refineries for 20 years with gases and chemicals way more volatile than natural gas. I have a total of 20' of piping and 4 appliances for Pete's sake.

Reach4

Reaction score
If the loads are close, I don't see why you could not share a regulator. Maybe have half inch pipe coming into the regulator at 5 PSI and 2 inch pipe coming out. Just an observer.

DonL

Reaction score
So, in my home right now, I have a gas cooktop, water heater, furnace, dryer and standby whole home, natural gas generator (that I myself 100% installed). When I added the generator a few years ago, all I had the utility company do is up size my meter. Why don't I have "pounds to ounces" regulators at all of these appliances?
I'm nowhere ignorant to flow and pressure and have been doing instrument and electrical work in chemical plants and refineries for 20 years with gases and chemicals way more volatile than natural gas. I have a total of 20' of piping and 4 appliances for Pete's sake.

Then you should be aware of how it works.

You will have a Regulator at the Gas Meter, then each appliance will have its own regulator set for its operating pressure, Built into the appliance. As code requires.

What is the problem ?

My guess is that you need to be more worried about Flow rate in undersized piping, when all 3 dryers and the water heater are in use, Not pressure. Of course you will not have enough pressure either, if the feed can not keep up with the demand.

Good Luck on your project.

Last edited:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
quote; . Why don't I have "pounds to ounces" regulators at all of these appliances?

Because you DO NOT have a medium/high pressure gas supply TO those appliances. Actually, you DO have one but it is before the meter and is part of the gas utility's equipment.

DonL

Reaction score
Are you sure they didn't say 0.5 PSI gas pressure?
5 PSI sounds pretty high unless they are expecting a regulator on it.

5 psi does sound high, but it may be allowed in a Landry mat ?

Each Appliance will have a built in regulator. And it needs to be rated to take 5 psi in.

.5 psi in a home will fly but 5 psi is not likely to.

Hook any up incorrectly and the Roof can fly.

I like those videos, but I do not want to make one.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
5 psi is usually reserved for large commercial/industrial installations to reduce the pipe sizes. Small businesses and SOME homes will use a medium 2 psi so smaller CSS lines can be used, but anytime the pressure exceeds 1/3 psi it needs the high to low regulator. If it/they are not used the conventional appliance regulator will "lock up" and stop all flow.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks