Name the mystery tile!

Users who are viewing this thread

CTWeekendWarrior

Reaction score
The picture below was taken at my cousin's house in Albany NY. The house is an older one, but I'm not sure of the exact vintage. To the right of the TP holder there is a mystery tile that we can't figure out what it is for. It has a shelf at the bottom and there is a vertical divider which makes two cubbies, the one on the left is smaller than the one on the right. There is also a slot at the top about the size of a book of matches. Is there anyone out there who has seen this before, and knows what its function is?

Attachments

• DSC00589.jpg
    DSC00589.jpg
    27.8 KB · Views: 528

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
A slot at the top?
Medicine cabinets used to come with slots for used razor blades.
When you did a remodel, and pulled the medicine cabinet from the wall, you would see lots of old razor blades behind it.

Cookie

Reaction score
Yeah, but right near the toilet paper, YIKES, lol. Maybe, it was for an extra roll? A skinny roll, :) or soap?

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
tile

Since the slot was probably for used razor blades it was probably to hold a shaving mug and brush. It would be too small for a roll of toilet paper, and that would only account for one space even if it did fit.

Southern Man

DIY Hillbilly
Reaction score
Since the slot was probably for used razor blades it was probably to hold a shaving mug and brush. It would be too small for a roll of toilet paper, and that would only account for one space even if it did fit.
That makes perfect sense, except for the location of the tile. I usually do my shaving while standing at the sink! LOL

Sjsmithjr

In the Trades
Reaction score
And the Answer Is...

Because I really wanted to know, I sent your pic and question to Historic Houseparts:

Sam,

Due to the placement of this accessory it may very well be a niche for smoking accessories, matches, cigarettes, ashtray. We often get bathroom accessories with integrated ashtrays, believe it or not, particularly from European bathrooms. This was in vogue in the 40’s, 50’s, 60’s even. The ultimate in multi-tasking! So that is our guess as to the use of this piece.

Chris Jones

Historic Houseparts, Inc.
540 South Avenue
Rochester, New York 14620​

If he ever takes it out, I call dibs.

Sjsmithjr

In the Trades
Reaction score
I dunno. You know what they say about smoking while taking a gaseous crap on the toilet.... :eek:

Not familiar with that one. But you know what they say about leading a horse to water...

Wanna dispute the answer to 2+2 while we're at it?

Man takes the time to get an answer to a question and you boys want to play "hang pork".

Last edited:

Southern Man

DIY Hillbilly
Reaction score
Not familiar with that one. But you know what they say about leading a horse to water...

Wanna dispute the answer to 2+2 while we're at it?

Man takes the time to get an answer to a question and you boys want to play "hang pork".

It was a joke, Smitty, commensurate with the levity of this thread. Fart gas has methane in it. Man takes big crap after nice beans and frank meal with chips and bean dip and three bean sides. Man drops his lit ciggy between his legs. Boom. Man wakes up in the emergency room with a toilet seat stuck to his rear. :rolleyes:

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
A nip bottle on the left and a shot glass on the right...the slot is for the quarter that it costs to use the toilet....:D

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
methane

Since I have never seen or heard a reputable case of methane gas exploding in a sewer, (if it did it would have ignited the entire sewer sytem), that one would be hard to prove.

Southern Man

DIY Hillbilly
Reaction score
Posted by Amy Weippert on April 01, 1998 at 14:55:06:

I am working on a case that involves a dry mud pit in
a service station's bay. The pit was apparently suppose
to be filled with water, however, was not. There was an
elbow joint pipe in the pit that was not positioned
correctly and leaking methane/sewer gas into the bay.
When the attendent opened the bay doors the wind forced
the fumes toward a nearby hot water heater whose pilot light
ignited the fumes and caused an explosion. I am curious if
there is any information readily available to the public
concerning the dangers of methane gas and the need to keep
these types of mud pits filled with water? Thanks for
your help.
https://terrylove.com/wwwboard/messages/240.html

Because sewer gas contains methane gas (CH4) there is a risk of an explosion hazard
http://www.inspect-ny.com/septic/septgas.htm

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks