Name that gear game..

Users who are viewing this thread

Vegas_sparky

Digital Billy
Reaction score
I know this wasn't easy, but its pretty neat, so I wanted to share. This is a fairly old 3 PH/480V/1600A Wye start/delta run motor starter. Its used to control a very large motor, which doesn't require a lot of start up torque, and minimize the mechanical shock load when started. If you look at the left/center side of the cabinet, you'll see the resistors which reduce the voltage during starting. After a set time after starting, the feed from the resistor side is disconnected, and switched to the full voltage side for running via the large contactors at the bottom. Nowadays VFDs typically handle the duties for these operations, as they are much more efficient.

No points(even though some of you were close), and anyone can post the next pic. If nothing comes up, I have lots more junk to show.

Bluebinky

Reaction score
I donno, but the phillips head screws on the bearing cap at the top/front and the plastic zip-ties are out of place.

Is this still being used?

Vegas_sparky

Digital Billy
Reaction score
Jessi and I say you're right, Reach. This old switch is part of the elevator controller at what was the Sahara(now SLS). The mechanics are pretty interesting compared to all of the solid state equipment used today. Between the chatter of the equipment, and all the heat given off, the stairs don't seem so bad. LOL

You get the first point, and a pic for a prize.

You also get to post the next one.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2014-06-17-20-10-47~01~01.jpg
    Screenshot_2014-06-17-20-10-47~01~01.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 295

JohnfrWhipple

BATHROOM DESIGN & BUILD
Reaction score
Finally a show girl.

I was loosing faith in you Vegas.

I was going to guess some kind of control for blinking lights in a slot machine....

I suck at this game.

74452.jpg

Kiton

Reaction score
Jessi and I say you're right, Reach. This old switch is part of the elevator.......

You get the first point, and a pic for a prize..

You posted a second elevator startup switch picture?!! :D:D

Attachments

• Screenshot_2014-06-17-20-10-47~01~01.jpg
    Screenshot_2014-06-17-20-10-47~01~01.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 275

PatrickH

Reaction score
Ok I'll give it a WAG. Hmm? It's a 480 volt, 3 ph, forward and reverse motor controller? For an exhaust fan? Pump?

PatrickH

Reaction score
Don't know how I wound up commenting on this post. I thought I was commenting on the other enclosure.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks