Mystery: Space Heater and TV Turning Off

Users who are viewing this thread

Molo

Reaction score
Stumped by this report:

-An electric space heater and TV were plugged into a power strip.
-It was reported that when the TV was turned on the TV turned on briefly and then shut off along with the space heater.
-There was no attempt to turn them back on and nothing was reset on the power strip. The breaker was not tripped (I confirmed)
-A few hours later the user returned to the TV and was able to turn it on as well as the space heater.

Do power strips have the ability to do this without requiring a reset? Is there not enough info. to determine what might have happened?

Any insight would be appreciated.
Thank you!

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
Electric space heaters draw usually 1500 watts on high setting, around 13+ amps. On a 15 amp breaker it doesn't lend for anymore load. Power strips are usually 15 amp with a built in breaker which is now standard. Remove the plug from this power strip and read on please.

I know this is not your question but for safety and for others that might read this post an electric space heater should not be plugged into anything but an outlet all by itself. If an extension cord is needed, use a 6'-15' cord rated at least 15 amp, nothing longer nor rated less than 15 amp. To know if you have a good plug and outlet connection, feel the plug after the heater has been on for a while, it may feel warm but not hot. If it is hot I have found it is a cheap outlet. Replace it with a better made one, not one of those 59 cents ones sold from a loose box.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks