Mystery Plumbing Issue... S.O.S.

Users who are viewing this thread

Richard

Reaction score
Hi All,

First post here... I have had two plumbers here, one of which ran a high definition camera from my clean out in basement (right under the toilet) all the way to sewer connection, and there is definitely nothing in the drain line.

So, about 7 days ago, I was sitting in my kitchen and heard the downstairs toilet (referenced above) bubble with water. It happened immediately after my daughter flushed a toilet located directly above (ie both toilets on same drain line). So, I assumed there was a blockage... I took the toilet off, and ran the sink next to the downstairs toilet and ran water... it eventually rose up into the toilet pipe... so, we deduced there was a blockage in the line somewhere between where the two toilets and sink and the street. Well, we augered the line (prior to filming it), and thought we cleared it because the toilets flushed with no issues. that is for 72 hours, and then the downstairs toilet was bubbling again. then I called the plumber back, and we did the high def camera. and there is nothing in the line. we inserted the camera at the cleanout at the end of this line (i.e. past the two toilets and sink by about a foot or less).

So, he left, and since everything was flushing/draining fine, I suspected maybe we flushed whatever was in the line out the the street. that is until today, when 7 days later, it bubbled again when flushed downstairs. so, I went in and reflushed the downstairs toilet and it wouldnt flush, drained slowly. once it drained fully, I was able to flush it with no issue 5 times in a row. I even had someone flush upstairs, and no issues seen from downstairs toilet.

how/why does this keep happening? could it be the pitch on the drain pipes was skewed some during our ongoing basement finishing perhaps? I mean could a 1/4" movement of a beam skew the pluming to experience issues like this? could it be the air trap malfunctioning? any other thoughts? cant be the toilet, since I took the toilet off, and water backed up into the pipe... and again, the upstairs down goes into the line in between the downstairs toilet and downstairs sink... so, the downstairs faucet had backed up into the toilet originally as well-which screams blockage, but then there was nothing in the line.

Oh the joy!:mad::(:eek::rolleyes:

Richard

Reaction score
Oh, and I should also mention, we have two waste lines in this house, and the other waste line runs to street with no issues... which we verified from clean out in front yard.

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
Was the vent checked to the roof? A column of water is dropping and the air in the vertical pipe is being pushed down the pipe and escapes at the first floor toilet. The first floor toilet can’t drain if the vent is blocked because the air in the pipe has no where to go. Why at times? Not sure but things do move? Not sure if this is your problem.

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
I recently had a job with your identical problem. There was a decent dip in the sewer line before it exited house. But you said you camera'd it

I was going to mention about a possible dip but since he did state it was scoped out I didn't list it. This video explains it.

James Henry

In the Trades
Reaction score
I was going to mention about a possible dip but since he did state it was scoped out I didn't list it. This video explains it.

This crossed my mind too but i'm learning that with the very limited information we get from posters we often sound like we don't know what we're talking about so it's almost futile to respond.

Plumber69

In the Trades
Reaction score

Guys videos are kinda hilarious. Don't confuse him.
lol4.gif

Michael Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Install this under the lavatory sink in the bathroom giving you problems. If it works, the vent is clogged. You can either unclog the vent or say fuckit and just let the studor vent provide the air you need

upload_2019-9-21_13-28-46.png

Richard

Reaction score
Was the vent checked to the roof? A column of water is dropping and the air in the vertical pipe is being pushed down the pipe and escapes at the first floor toilet. The first floor toilet can’t drain if the vent is blocked because the air in the pipe has no where to go. Why at times? Not sure but things do move? Not sure if this is your problem.
I suspected it could be vent related, but would the contradict water backing up into toilet when the sink next to it was run?

Richard

Reaction score
Install this under the lavatory sink in the bathroom giving you problems. If it works, the vent is clogged. You can either unclog the vent or say fuckit and just let the studor vent provide the air you need

View attachment 55975
Seems doable... what is that called? Also, I should tell you, there is only 1 vent on the roof, which is directly above the the other drain line (other side of house from the line having repeated issues)... does that mean anything to you?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks