Mystery leak at bottom of electric water heater

Users who are viewing this thread

Praxxl Cogsworth

Reaction score
My water heater is 10 years old. About 5 years ago, I went out of town and shut off the main water to the house. When I turned the water back on, my water heater had a small leak, maybe 10 drops a minute. After a few days, the leak stopped. Now, 5 years later, I went out of town and shut off the water when I left and when I returned, the mystery leak is back, about 10 drops per minute but it is not stopping. The inlet and outlet fittings are dry. I can't see under the tank but there seems to be something there like a plastic fitting or plug and the leak seems to be from there. I have heard from a few other people that didn't shut off the water when leaving and finding a disaster when they returned. Seems like shutting off the water is cheap insurance against a flood in the house.
So I guess my heater is Kaput. Any idea what is happening? A crack maybe?

Reach4

Reaction score
So I guess my heater is Kaput. Any idea what is happening? A crack maybe?
You are right, that it is time to get that changed.

Something rusting through would be most common, I would think. I don't know why you had a leak that disappeared for a long while.

Keith Frank

Reaction score
What's the brand of your water heater? I guess 10 years is a good term, considering that their life expectancy is around 12 years max. The longevity also depends on a bunch of factors, including the manufacturer and the maintenance quality. But what's weird is that the leak actually disappeared first time around.

HudsonDIY

Reaction score
Are you sure the water isn't coming from the pressure relief valve? Where are you seeing the water? In the drip pan? Does the pressure relief also drain into the dip pan?

As is the consensus, it is nearing the end of it's life.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks