Mystery Exterior Clean Outs

Users who are viewing this thread

EldonP

Reaction score
Hi all,

I've got a curiosity in my front yard, and I'm hoping that someone out there has seen this or can reason what's going on. Below is an illustration of two clean outs located just inches from the bottom of the gas meter (very convenient!). I took off the caps and I can see that both bend away in the same direction... I expected that one would go upstream and other downstream, but it doesn't look that way.

My reason for asking is 1) curiosity and 2) I opened them to see if there was an adapt-a-valve BWV in there. I'm guessing there couldn't be one installed from what I'm seeing here.

Any idea why they'd put the clean outs in such a terrible spot?

Thank you!

Last edited by a moderator:

Kreemoweet

In the Trades
Reaction score
Got a pic? What about them leads you believe they are "cleanouts" rather than conduits meant to
house some future utility run?

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Must be cleanouts installed by a first week apprentice or someone who had too many beers on the job. What would make YOU think they could be "conduits" since this is a residence NOT a warehouse?

EldonP

Reaction score
Here's a pic. You can't see the other cleanout... it has only an inch clearance under the meter!

photo.JPG

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
And, you are sure the one under the meter does NOT turn away from the building. If so, it would still have been done by someone who did not know what he was doing, but still better than both turning the WRONG way.

EldonP

Reaction score
Anything could happen in the question mark portion of my diagram, but from what I can see without a scope, they both bend toward the building. I'll be excavating the front yard at some point, so I'll be able to move them then.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks