Mystery Drain Pipes

Users who are viewing this thread

OCBeach

Reaction score
I've got a question I'm hoping someone might be able to answer. Outside my kitchen sliding glass door I have two pipes that come out, make a 90 degree bend, and then are just open on the end. It looks like this area was cut out specifically to drain from these pipes. In the 3 years I've lived at the house I've never seen water come out of these. Now the area has a bunch of standing water. Throughout the day the water level goes up and down. I've attached a picute of the pipes with the standing water. Anyone have any idea what these pipes could be draining and why they would all the sudden start to drain? Thanks in advanced for the help.

-Total Newbie

Attachments

• 20200825_080702.jpg
    20200825_080702.jpg
    168 KB · Views: 148

Reach4

Reaction score
Where does the relief valve on your WH dump its water?

One could be AC condensation.

If you suck the water out with your wet-dry vacuum cleaner, how quickly does the water rise up again?

OCBeach

Reaction score
Where does the relief valve on your WH dump its water?

One could be AC condensation.

If you suck the water out with your wet-dry vacuum cleaner, how quickly does the water rise up again?

The water heater valve disappears into the wall in the garage so that could be. I do have an AC as well. When I suck the water out its slow to fill, few hours to fill back up.

Reach4

Reaction score
The WH T&P valve has a test lever. If you test, water should come out at a fast rate. When you release the lever, water should stop.

If those things don't happen, replace the T+P valve.

If one is the T+P output, you could have a properly-working T+P valve, but your thermal expansion tank for the WH has gone bad.

If you put a pressure gauge on your water, you may be able to help diagnose. The T+P valve should release water at 150 psi. The pressure should not get that high, but if you need a thermal expansion tank, and it fails, the pressure will rise after you use hot water and stop using water.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
copper for water heater pvc for a/c condesation the pvc could be drain pan on water heater too or washing machine but almost surely is the a/c

OCBeach

Reaction score
Looks like the valve works fine and the pressure is not that high. If one is the AC drainage, is it odd that it hasn't drained in 2 years but is now draining?

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
yes odd but how often do you run A/C ? its been kind of humid as well at least here in th I.E. near redlands. A lot of older places in Newport that werent built with a/c newer homes the condesate almost goes under and tees into sink drain, a secondary line is run out side over a window or even door way to alert that something is going wrong. however I can tell being from the area this isnt a new house and could be plumbed in a variety of ways. Inspect area where your furnace / ac is and just do a visual for any water around unit it vary well might be ok. btw Determine exactly which pipe is leaking

OCBeach

Reaction score
I really appreciate all the help. Learning a lot. It's definitely the PVC pipe thats draining. No water around the AC unit at all. I've been running the AC a lot, but not much more then usual.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
I really appreciate all the help. Learning a lot. It's definitely the PVC pipe thats draining. No water around the AC unit at all. I've been running the AC a lot, but not much more then usual.
well then your probebly all good.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks