Mysterious Pipe in Basement

Users who are viewing this thread

Grantrog

Reaction score
I am trying to finish my basement. When i bought the house it had all the plumbing roughed in for a bathroom. I had a plumber come over to my house he said I just needed to connect the vent pipes. He showed me a pipe with a metal cap on it (attached) and said that it is a vent pipe and I need to connect to it. Today when I removed the metal cap, water gushed out of the pipe. With such force that it knocked me off the ladder. It was a solid 6-8 seconds before the water stopped. So now I am wondering if he was correct about it being a vent pipe, or is it something else

20160423_150316.jpg 20160423_150238.jpg 20160423_150316.jpg 20160423_150238.jpg

.....please help me.

Last edited by a moderator:

Smooky

In the Trades
Reaction score
Maybe it was rain water or a build up of condensation? If it was a drain something would have backed up by now. Have you tried to figure where it goes from there? If there is a sink or something up above that location, you could remove the plug and run some water and see if it comes out down there.

Last edited:

Grantrog

Reaction score
It appears to go through the load bearing wall on the first floor. I'll take the cover back off and start running water throughout the house and see if I get any water through it. I'm hoping it was just rain water. It just seemed to be such a large mass of water with a crazy amount of pressue, it didn't make alot of sense to me.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
It appears to go through the load bearing wall on the first floor. I'll take the cover back off and start running water throughout the house and see if I get any water through it. I'm hoping it was just rain water. It just seemed to be such a large mass of water with a crazy amount of pressue, it didn't make alot of sense to me.

When we run a test on a new home, the pipes are filled to overflowing up to the top of the roof vents.
That could be water left over from the test.

FullySprinklered

In the Trades
Reaction score
I learned to drill a hole in the stand-by vent pipe, installed to vent a future bath group. Last one I drilled, I soaked myself, my customer, and his son, who were exercising innocent curiosity concerning why the sheetrock on the stairwell landing was blistering up. The pipe was full of rainwater, several years worth, and shot out of there like crazy. I was up a ladder holding a bucket, knowing what was going to happen, but got surprised anyway by the force and volume of the water. There was a very slight leak where the cap was almost glued on, and that's what brought on all this excitement.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks