My Waterheater is Splitting Down the Side.

Users who are viewing this thread

Devin G

Reaction score
Hello I just bought my new house and maybe two months after I bought it the water heater is now split down the side and the top looks like it's popping off.
Water heaters covered under niba Home Warranty but only if it's leaking the bulge doesn't count or so they say.

What should I do

20170331_010843.jpg
20170331_010858.jpg
20170331_010910.jpg
20170331_010843.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The tank is inside that wrapper, and insulation between the wrapper and the tank. The wrapper serves no function but to protect the insulation.
Normally I think of gas water heaters having a max life of 15 years, and have seen them fail at 8. There is the odd one that will do 20+ but that is rare.

water-heater-bulging-3.jpg

Last edited:

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
1. I would guess that the WH is over 10 years old, and if that's the case, start saving money for a new WH.

2. Home warranties are usually worthless, you just found out that whatever problem you have, they will find a way out of their obligation and won't pay. Next renewal day, just tell them adios.

If it were my home...I would replace the WH on the first sign of trouble: not enough hot water, noises, pilot light going out frequently, leak, and so on. And if they called to renew the policy, I'd tell them that I much rather invest this money in my favorite mutual fund: Vanguard.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
The tank has leaked and sealed itself many time but the corrosion has caused pressure which is popping the jacket. The home warranty company DID replace mine before it started leaking, but your heater is on its last legs and may start leaking at any time.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks