My valve is broken!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

best

Reaction score
hi, I am almost clueless about plumbing, so please forgive me if I incorrectly describe something. Anyway, just as my title says, my valve (or at least I think it is a value) is broken. The outer most part (the left side) in the picture is broken off (please don't ask me why). Do I have to replace the whole thing in the picture? And if I do, do I need a professional?

Thanks

Attachments

• 08622.jpg
    08622.jpg
    27.6 KB · Views: 415

Verdeboy

In the Trades
Reaction score
Valve Body

Why don't you post a couple of photos of your valve. If in fact it is the valve body that is "broken", you (or a plumber) will need to replace the whole assembly.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
The valve in the picture is of a Mixet. Even though that company is now defunct, the cartridges are readily available so if it is broken, turn off the water and take it out. If yours is actually a different brand, post a pic so we can tell you what to do .

best

Reaction score
it's really that part small part of the thing that is gone and mine is Mixet. But I live in a building, so unless I can fix this by replace some small part, I will have to call in a professional; otherwise, I'll get a penalty if something goes wrong.

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
If your unit has a working shut off you can fix it....if the water to the whole building has to be shutoff, then you will have to call some one.

best

Reaction score
it's broken like someone cut it off on the edge of the white part (of course that's not what happened). Basically, the part oustide the white part is gone. Now I know that part is called the "cartridge" and I can replace just that part. But I don't think I can do that myself (even if I have my own water shut off) without violating the building by-laws. And there is another problem, there was some dripping before it was broken; is that the problem of the cartridge? If it is, then I can just get someone to replace the cartirdge. If not, I have to replace the whole thing...

thanks

Verdeboy

In the Trades
Reaction score
Mixet Cartridge

Replacing the cartridge should fix the leak as well.

best

Reaction score
Thanks everyone

I think I have come to a decision. I am going to get someone to replace the whole thing. Not just the value or the shower head, but also the pipes in the wall.

First I thought I can just get the cartridge and replace it myself, but it looks like I can only get Mixet's parts online which I rather not do.
Then I thought I can replace the value and shower head myself because I found out one of my neigbour did it themselves. That would be much less costly.
But then it turned out that that neigbour had to replace the pipes not long after that. So...

I AM GOING TO REPLACE EVERYTHING

Thanks everyone, I appreicate it

Verdeboy

In the Trades
Reaction score
best said:
First I thought I can just get the cartridge and replace it myself, but it looks like I can only get Mixet's parts online which I rather not do.
I live in a very small town, and even here the local Do It Best hardware store carries the Mixet Cartridge.

Nowadays, buying on-line is no big deal anyway. I haven't been burned yet.

best

Reaction score
hj said:
Home Depot carries Mixet parts.

really?! I checked its website.

but still, if the pipes are not going to hold, I think it would be best if I replace the whole thing.

Verdeboy

In the Trades
Reaction score
Pipes

What makes you think that the pipes won't hold. I'm not even sure what that means.:confused:

best

Reaction score
Verdeboy said:
What makes you think that the pipes won't hold. I'm not even sure what that means.:confused:

Honestly, I am not sure too.

I only heard from somone else that my neighbor HAD to replace the pipes. And the fact is our building is quit old; there had been several problems already. Maybe I can get a professional to evaluate the whole thing...:rolleyes:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
If the pipes are galvanized steel, then it may be time to replace. If copper, they usually last a very long time.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
There are no "little parts on the end" of a cartridge which can be replaced separately, so you are on the right track, but may not be necessary to replace the pipes in the wall. MIXET, while defunct, was a widely sold model for a number of years, so parts are still readily available. Any Depot store, ACE hardware, etc. should have them. On line there are any number of plumbing parts suppliers. The HD dot com website is pretty worthless, though.

One thing you have to look for in Mixet, there are a short stem and a long one for pre- or post- 1968. The parts websites usually explain this with pictures. Also, there is a version of the newer stem in an -EXT model, a long shank for remodel situations where wall thickness is added.

There is also a company who makes a special retrofit cartridge to cure the cross-over problem common with Mixet. They are pricey, and if you do not have a pumped recirculating system, you don't really need this. If you do have a pump, them $50 for a stem will save you that much and more on your hot water bill.

best

Reaction score
thanks, I'll think about it

mine is probably post-1968, but how do I know how exactlly the kind of the Mixet cartrige I need?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks