My Toto CST743E Toilet is slowly flushing less and less properly

Users who are viewing this thread

woodcycl

Reaction score
I've noticed for a few months now after a flush, the sound it makes is more and more quiet and the bowl is filling more slowly. Finally, today I noticed it barely flushed and took two flushes with at least 15 minutes in-between the flushes.

I took the top off the tank and noticed it is filling very very slowly. And, sometimes fills several inches below the fill line.

I have very hard water and wonder if part of the inner workings in the tank may be clogged with minerals much like my shower heads and sink faucets do over time.

The toilet has been used daily for approx. 7yrs. Thoughts?

Many thanks for any help.

Reach4

Reaction score
Last edited:

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
When you say it is "flushing slowly", when you push the trip lever, does the water drain from the tank quickly-ish into the bowl? Is the issue simply the speed of refill or is it something else? You can always take a quick video of it, put it on Youtube, and link it to here so we can see the process. Bottom line is it sounds like the refill is the issue. Depending on which fill valve you have, you may be able to fix the problem just by replacing a $3 cap inside the fill valve, which would take a first-timer less than 5 minutes to do with no tools required. And there's a video for it. If you don't have that one, you can replace the fill valve with a Korky 528MP for about $12 at Home Depot or a million places. That valve lets you adjust it so it will give you exactly the Toto flush that the toilet came with, filling the tank properly and refilling properly.

If the bowl isn't sufficiently-refilling after a flush, but the TANK is properly-refilling, I would check and make sure that the little rubber hose from the fill valve is clipped above the overflow riser (the tube sticking up from the bottom of the tank that is connected to the flush valve), and that the water from the little hose is going into that tube while the toilet tank refills. Starting the flush with the proper amount of water in the bowl is very important.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks