Water keeps flowing in toilet! Check pic

Users who are viewing this thread

Questions1

Reaction score
I opened the toilet sink cover to know why there is no flush sometimes . I have attached pic below. It looks like the blue flap is sometimes getting blocked by the side of the black balloon shaped thing. How do I fix this so I don’t have to open the cover and push the balloons to make the flap go down to fill up the tank each time I want to flush? Thanks

Attachments

• 9B30A9C9-0A0E-4BBF-A327-4EE9737D5009.jpeg
    9B30A9C9-0A0E-4BBF-A327-4EE9737D5009.jpeg
    57.8 KB · Views: 336
  • E7AD4BA5-1A43-48D1-B20B-A804E0F76E4F.jpeg
    E7AD4BA5-1A43-48D1-B20B-A804E0F76E4F.jpeg
    58.9 KB · Views: 324

Reach4

Reaction score
You can bend the rod hooked to the float to go around the overflow tube, while being careful to not add an additional interference. When you bend, use two hands or tools, so as to not put stress on the fill valve.

If that ballcock fill valve ever fails, you will probably replace it with what has become a regular float valve.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I would be thinking about some new parts for that. A new flapper and a new fill valve.
You can bend the rod for now and make sure it swings up and down without hitting things.
A better fill valve has a float that slides up and down instead of the float on a rod that hangs out there so far.

Questions1

Reaction score
I would be thinking about some new parts for that. A new flapper and a new fill valve.
You can bend the rod for now and make sure it swings up and down without hitting things.
A better fill valve has a float that slides up and down instead of the float on a rod that hangs out there so far.
I don’t know the Words like rod, valve or flapper. I can’t install new one since I am not good at this. Can you post links for both? I can buy and have someone install them. I may have to ask for a handyman to replace those. I have two toilets. Thanks

Reach4

Reaction score
Do you have a plunger near that toilet? If so, that is a sign that a new toilet might be a big improvement. A good current design toilet seldom clogs. It uses less water. Then everything is new, and you will take advantage of the improved designs.

The blue thing is the flapper, but the new flapper would probably be a different color. The rod is the foot-long threaded thing screwed into the black ball. The valve is what the other end of the rod is screwed to. DIY is not for everybody. A plumber would have all of the needed stuff in the truck and would have everything working in an hour. A new toilet would be more but it would be an upgrade.

Questions1

Reaction score
Do you have a plunger near that toilet? If so, that is a sign that a new toilet might be a big improvement. A good current design toilet seldom clogs. It uses less water. Then everything is new, and you will take advantage of the improved designs.

The blue thing is the flapper, but the new flapper would probably be a different color. The rod is the foot-long threaded thing screwed into the black ball. The valve is what the other end of the rod is screwed to. DIY is not for everybody. A plumber would have all of the needed stuff in the truck and would have everything working in an hour. A new toilet would be more but it would be an upgrade.
I don't have plunger. I don't have clogging issues. Also the toilets are not new, they maybe several years or 10 years or more? Really don't know. They don't look very new but also not like 20 years old.
Both my toilets are flushing fine except for one which gets stuck due to the flapper getting blocked by the black ball. All I need to fix this is by buying a flapper, black ball, a rod and a valve? All these 4 pieces come together when purchasing? I am sure I won't be able to remove the current one and install new one. But I can just buy the pieces and then have a handyman come to replace. How much would the 4 pieces cost? Thanks

Scott5RR

Reaction score
I don't have plunger. I don't have clogging issues. Also the toilets are not new, they maybe several years or 10 years or more? Really don't know. They don't look very new but also not like 20 years old.
Both my toilets are flushing fine except for one which gets stuck due to the flapper getting blocked by the black ball. All I need to fix this is by buying a flapper, black ball, a rod and a valve? All these 4 pieces come together when purchasing? I am sure I won't be able to remove the current one and install new one. But I can just buy the pieces and then have a handyman come to replace. How much would the 4 pieces cost? Thanks

No. You are wanting to replace it with a new flapper and fill valve. The black ball (float) is part of an older style fill valve. I don't even think you can find those anymore. Anyway, I have re-posted your image with the terminology applied. All you need to know is the flush handle (what you flush with) lifts the flapper, which lets the water out of the tank into the bowl, creating the flush. The fill valve has part of itself sticking out of your toilet and this is what your water supply attaches to from the wall. The float ... floats. As the tank fills up, the float, errr, "floats" higher and when it gets high enough, the fill valve cuts off.

Modern fill valves don't have the black float. Instead, you want something like a Korky Quietfill.

So you really will only be replacing three things ...

1. Fill Valve (New ones don't use rod or black float) around $10
2. Flapper - around $3
3. Toilet Supply Line. Around $6. You may think you can reuse the old one, and you might actually be able to, but I highly recommend replacing this anyway. It's a good rule of thumb that if you have to disconnect a supply line, that's a perfect opportunity to replace it. You will need to know the size of the connection going onto the wall (mine were 3/8") and have a good idea of the length you are replacing.

So, about $2o total.

Attachments

• 9B30A9C9-0A0E-4BBF-A327-4EE9737D5009.jpeg
    9B30A9C9-0A0E-4BBF-A327-4EE9737D5009.jpeg
    114.8 KB · Views: 325

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
Save the money on the handyman.

The good news is that your toilet uses standard parts. And it's easy to do what you need to do here.

I think it would be a worthwhile project to replace the fill valve and flapper in your toilet.

However, before you do that, try adjusting the "chain" length of the current very-worn flapper. You have way too much slack in the chain at present, and the amount of slack affects how the flapper operates. See my comments below. Of course, the flapper looks so worn it's hard to believe that it makes a seal.

Here's a video from the manufacturer named Korky on how to replace your old fill valve with a Korky 528 quietfill MaxPerformance valve. That's a valve we recommend.

Here's how to install a flapper. I think you want a Korky 2001BP flapper -- i.e. the standard one. The video says to install the chain "with minimal slack". This means that you adjust the chain length so there is going to be one, but only one, link of chain resting on top of the flapper when the handle is at rest. There are lots of links of chain on a Korky flapper, and you just put the clip on the chain where you need to in order to achieve that. If the thing doesn't work properly, try one link more or one link less, and make sure the lever you attached it to is directly above the flapper. A simple adjustment of chain length by one or two links in either direction makes a huge difference. Surprising, but true.

I am actually surprised that your toilet flushes at all with the sloppy amount of slack in your current "chain".

Last edited:

Questions1

Reaction score
Hi Guys, I am back after many months. This time I am contacting a Handyman to replace the parts. I have two toilets. One has the thing get stuck all the time and i am having to remove the cover and push the flapper all the time to be able to flush. Also i do hear water noise all day in that toilet tank. The flush handle is also very loose.

So Help me here, when I call the Handyman, what do I tell them that I need to replace? Some one mentioned the Korky Quitefill. Just Ask him to bring Korky Quitefill?
I would like something good installed so I don't face this problem again.

The other toilet I have doesn't have this issue but it clogs easily when I put several pieces of toilet paper. I can't afford whole new toilet but I can do the same replacement of the flush on this once too since I am calling handyman anyway right? Do replacement of the entire flush set on both toilets.

Last edited:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I'm sure your handyman can fix something simple like a toilet. Show him a picture of what you have and leave him alone. Don't over think this one. :)

Questions1

Reaction score
I'm sure your handyman can fix something simple like a toilet. Show him a picture of what you have and leave him alone. Don't over think this one. :)
I am sure handyman can easily fix it but I would rather have him replace with newer thing that doesn't involve the black ball where i may face same trouble again after a year or two. Is it korky quitefill?

Questions1

Reaction score

Questions1

Reaction score
I had a handyman install the Korky toilet parts on both toilets. I see the front toilet tanks on both toilet being wet . Sweaty front tank. Is this normal? And I saw water drip every 30 secs. Called him back he said he tightened the screws and now it is not dripping like it was but as you c an see in the picture I have paper towel and you will find little bit of leak from the last 10 minutes. He said this leak is due to the wet sweaty tank and it is due to our room temperature being very warm and water inside the tank being very cold. But he also admitted that he hasn’t never seen such sweaty tank. Pls give me you option.

Attachments

• E5B9024A-A6E2-41C3-AC13-B27FFF5E9D5A.jpeg
    E5B9024A-A6E2-41C3-AC13-B27FFF5E9D5A.jpeg
    37.5 KB · Views: 289
  • 4881C8E1-9841-420A-BCB1-CC9171B38FB7.jpeg
    4881C8E1-9841-420A-BCB1-CC9171B38FB7.jpeg
    43.4 KB · Views: 294

Reach4

Reaction score
He said this leak is due to the wet sweaty tank and it is due to our room temperature being very warm and water inside the tank being very cold.
As a test, take some cold water out of the tank, and replace it with hot. That will warm the tank, and stop sweating.

During a normal flush, only part of the water is changed out in the tank. But if the apparent sweating is indeed sweating, it is possible to fill toilets with a mix of hot and cold water. That can absolutely do away with sweating.

Questions1

Reaction score
As a test, take some cold water out of the tank, and replace it with hot. That will warm the tank, and stop sweating.

During a normal flush, only part of the water is changed out in the tank. But if the apparent sweating is indeed sweating, it is possible to fill toilets with a mix of hot and cold water. That can absolutely do away with sweating.
I keep have trouble now. Just flushed and water came out of the tank cover down on floor. Opened the cover and saw the black pipe detached and almost out of the tank cover. I put it back in the black pipe but now water fills up the tank but I keep hearing water noise non stop inside the tank. Tried to upload video so you can hear the the water flow but says file too large so I just uploaded a pic Update: I flushed again and now the water noise is there but tank is not filling up. The flapper touches down fine

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 493
Last edited:

Questions1

Reaction score
Now tank is filled up but when I check the black tube, you will see the tank water getting in the mouth of the black tube where the black pipe is. And I keep hearing water flow noise non stop.

Attachments

• 047201A5-02CD-4B94-A9DE-D4700898B160.jpeg
    047201A5-02CD-4B94-A9DE-D4700898B160.jpeg
    65.3 KB · Views: 282
  • 6650095F-6C20-4FD6-A53F-CA13B2E3DF4B.jpeg
    6650095F-6C20-4FD6-A53F-CA13B2E3DF4B.jpeg
    58.7 KB · Views: 272
Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks