My toilet lid fell inside the tank and caused a hissing noise....

Users who are viewing this thread

ihatefluidmaster

Reaction score
My toilet lid fell inside the tank and caused a hissing noise near the top of my fill valve. It sounds kind of like an airy sound. I dont see any water being drained, but it has been doing this constantly ever since. Kind of similar to the sound you hear when the water turn off valve under the toilet wont seal properly and wont completely stop water from coming through.

PS> I dont hate fluidmaster.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
If the water level is rising enough to the level of the overflow tube, the fill valve is not shutting off. Could be something got bent and the float doesn't move freely, or something is broken.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
If the water level is rising enough to the level of the overflow tube, the fill valve is not shutting off. Could be something got bent and the float doesn't move freely, or something is broken. Shut the water off at the wall, and leave it. The valve may run, but the rod to the flush valve may be hanging up, holding the flapper up or holding it askew.

Reach4

Reaction score
A replacement seal may fix it. http://www.homedepot.com/p/Fluidmaster-Replacement-Seal-for-Model-400A-Fill-Valves-242/100580550

However replacing a fill valve is fairly cheap, pretty easy, and is a good DIY for those so inclined. Most people recommend replacing the hose at the same time. If you replace the hose, and if the shutoff valve is a multi-turn valve, it is best to replace that with a quarter turn valve. Those are really nice. Just replacing the fill valve is not bad IMO.

Having a toilet lid fall into the tank is unusual. I presume that somehow the lid was held vertically momentarily and slipped. However if the toilet lid can fall into the tank while the lid is horizontal, I would consider replacing the whole toilet.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks