My toilet clogs frequently. Change the toilet?

Users who are viewing this thread

Questions1

Reaction score
we live in a 2 bedroom condo and has two toilets . Both are old toilets . One of them easily clogs when we put toilet paper. So we use the plunger to push them down and usually works to fix the clog but since yesterday the toilet is still not flushing properly . Water still comes up. It is an old toilet usually takes little longer to fill up the tank after each flush. A month ago I had to call plumber and he brought a special tool to flush down and fix the clog. He told me I may think about buying new one if it clogs again. Will replacing the toilet to a new one fix this? I may have to call the plumber anyway . Might save money buy buying a new toilet and then calling him to install . Pls educate me.

Attachments

• D199D4A8-4724-4EB5-BAAD-9F5EE97BAFAE.jpeg
    D199D4A8-4724-4EB5-BAAD-9F5EE97BAFAE.jpeg
    51.4 KB · Views: 251

Questions1

Reaction score
The new toilets are much better. You can then move the plunger to the storage closet. You still will need the toilet brush.

Think about what you want in a toilet, besides good flushing. Cost, appearance are factors. See https://terrylove.com/forums/index.php?forums/toilet-forum-discussions.3/ for various discussions.
Will the the clog problem go away with new toilet? Want to make sure! 2 months ago when I had to call plumber . He didn’t tell me I should replace the toilet but I told him I keep having clogging problem frequently and asked him how to buy new toilet. He said things and I wrote down

Attachments

• C06CE89E-D6FD-4EAC-A568-42422FADBE37.png
    C06CE89E-D6FD-4EAC-A568-42422FADBE37.png
    99.6 KB · Views: 223

Reach4

Reaction score
The 12 inch rough in is the standard, and that makes a lot of toilets available to you. So price, appearance... what say you? We understand you want flawless flushing. Cadet 3 and Toto Drake II get good flush reports and are moderately priced.

1.6 gallons per flush is getting harder to find. 1.28 and 1.0 are getting easier to find.

A bidet attachment is really nice. You can go $40 for a non-powered to maybe $1000.

Last edited:

Questions1

Reaction score
The 12 inch rough in is the standard, and that makes a lot of toilets available to you. So price, appearance... what say you?
I just hope the new toilet I buy won’t start with the same clogging problem . Pls look at Home Depot and Lowe’s and give me some links . What is the shape of this? it looks both round and elongated.

Attachments

• 5E8DCB6A-0365-496C-8BB5-45087F624B4B.jpeg
    5E8DCB6A-0365-496C-8BB5-45087F624B4B.jpeg
    55 KB · Views: 239
Last edited:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Most any new toilet will be better than what you have. Over time the trapway on the one you have may be collecting things like Q-tips and baby wipes. Those items will slow down a flush and should never be disposed of in a toilet.
What you have is a round front standard 12" rough.
Home Center toilets that work could be any of the Kohler toilets, the American Standard Cadet series.
I often install something like the TOTO Entrada which works very well. Those may be a bit harder to find.

cst243ef-orange.jpg

Last edited:

Questions1

Reaction score
Most any new toilet will be better than what you have. Over time the trapway on the one you have may be collecting things like Q-tips and baby wipes. Those items will slow down a flush and should never be disposed of in a toilet.
What you have is a round front standard 12" rough.
Home Center toilets that work could be any of the Kohler toilets, the American Standard Cadet series.
I often install something like the TOTO Entrada which works very well. Those may be a bit harder to find.
mine is round? I posted 3 pics below . So buy one that says round and 12 inch ?

Attachments

• 86C44A2F-E475-4386-87B1-1383D1654F46.jpeg
    86C44A2F-E475-4386-87B1-1383D1654F46.jpeg
    53.1 KB · Views: 205
  • 6EC7A107-11A0-4B82-A325-BA120CD5612B.jpeg
    6EC7A107-11A0-4B82-A325-BA120CD5612B.jpeg
    44.7 KB · Views: 205
  • 14FF56CE-50DB-453A-88F5-ACAD170117CA.jpeg
    14FF56CE-50DB-453A-88F5-ACAD170117CA.jpeg
    46.9 KB · Views: 205

Reach4

Reaction score
How cramped are you for space in the direction of the bottom of the photos? If you can spare an extra inch or two in that direction, elongated is preferred.

Questions1

Reaction score
How cramped are you for space in the direction of the bottom of the photos? If you can spare an extra inch or two in that direction, elongated is preferred.

Attachments

• 68361B32-9BAB-4F81-9FF5-FF0AC9A2FE39.jpeg
    68361B32-9BAB-4F81-9FF5-FF0AC9A2FE39.jpeg
    85.5 KB · Views: 225
  • D4B69EF4-E75E-491C-8D57-3A9A92A41F11.jpeg
    D4B69EF4-E75E-491C-8D57-3A9A92A41F11.jpeg
    63.5 KB · Views: 211

Questions1

Reaction score
Mine measures, the width at the tank cover is 20inch or 20 and half. It is 12 inch Size and the rim height is 14inch, the height from the tank cover to floor is 27 inch

Reach4

Reaction score
I would go elongated. Your toilet existing toilet looks elongated to me, but I could be mistaken on that.
toilet-seat-measurement_1_b13ab74a-2841-4a8f-bcbd-a647944f62b1.jpg

If you cannot find your tape measure or yardstick, use two 8.5 x 11 pieces of paper side by side to measure off 17 inches. That is right in the middle of the dimension you are wanting to measure.

Is your current toilet on top of the flooring (the right way), or is the flooring cut around the toilet? If cut around, you would want the base to cover the hole in the flooring.

Questions1

Reaction score
I would go elongated. Your toilet existing toilet looks elongated to me, but I could be mistaken on that.
toilet-seat-measurement_1_b13ab74a-2841-4a8f-bcbd-a647944f62b1.jpg

If you cannot find your tape measure or yardstick, use two 8.5 x 11 pieces of paper side by side to measure off 17 inches. That is right in the middle of the dimension you are wanting to measure.

Is your current toilet on top of the flooring (the right way), or is the flooring cut around the toilet? If cut around, you would want the base to cover the hole in the flooring.
I posted detail of measurements and pics above. Thanks

Questions1

Reaction score
You posted pics. You posted measurements that were not 16 or 18 inches.
I can confirm that mine is the round shape. My bathroom is small as the picture shows so I better buy a round shape that has strong 1.4 or more and flush and fills the tank quickly. Recommend some pls

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Your knees sit at the same place on a round and elongated bowl shape...many people find the extra room at the front make for a nicer experience. I'm tall, so find a 14" tall bowl just uncomfortable. Keep in mind that a common dining room chair is closer to 18"...most people find them comfortable to sit in.

FWIW, code today calls for a minimum of 30" on a toilet...15" either side of the centerline of the toilet L-R. It doesn't look like you have that. You can probably get by grandfathered, but it's a consideration if you decide to remodel the bathroom in the future.

Questions1

Reaction score
Your knees sit at the same place on a round and elongated bowl shape...many people find the extra room at the front make for a nicer experience. I'm tall, so find a 14" tall bowl just uncomfortable. Keep in mind that a common dining room chair is closer to 18"...most people find them comfortable to sit in.

FWIW, code today calls for a minimum of 30" on a toilet...15" either side of the centerline of the toilet L-R. It doesn't look like you have that. You can probably get by grandfathered, but it's a consideration if you decide to remodel the bathroom in the future.
ordered this online. good flush rate and compact eloganated to save space. my bathroom is small. https://www.homedepot.com/p/KOHLER-...-AquaPiston-Flush-in-White-K-3811-0/205326634

Eddie Ebron

Reaction score
I can confirm that mine is the round shape. My bathroom is small as the picture shows so I better buy a round shape that has strong 1.4 or more and flush and fills the tank quickly. Recommend some pls
I see you are ready to buy a new toilet. But ... Are you sure that the obstacle for flushing is in the knee of the toilet? the bend is quite wide and should not in itself quickly clog. I had such a problem. My friend advised me to take a steel rope (hawser, tow), fluff the tip a little bit (not more than 2 inches!) and push it into the pipe through the toilet. It is really a cool tool) It turned out that the blockage was much further than the toilet. on the bend of the sewer pipe. I advise you to find a place for the problem, and not to change the toilet. It may not give anything.

Last edited by a moderator:

Questions1

Reaction score
You might want to read through this post, it discusses the Santa Rosa https://terrylove.com/forums/index.php?threads/santa-rosa-vs-ultramax-ii.81568/
I already ordered it and waiting for delivery so I don’t know which one is better then what. I saw good reviews everywhere on this and it is good size for me s d my price range . If it came broken during delivery , then I may have to reorder the same one or buy something similar any suggestions ? Buying on home depot online

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks