My pressure guage is dead!!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

imustbecrazy

Reaction score
Hi, I'm new here, so hello to everybody. I searched some of the threads and didn't see a question or answer that totally fit my problem. I have a deep well that had a lot of water pressure. The pressure guage, until about a week ago, used to tick each time water was being used. I read that this is normal. Now, the needle is all the way over to the right (on 100), and nothing is happening with it when the water is on or off. The electric meter is slow, so I know the fact that it's on 100 means nothing. The pressure is decent, but nothing to write home about. It is definitely lower than it used to be. I don't know anything about these pumps. There are knobs and valves on the outside, but I have no clue about what to do. My husband is out of town, but that doesn't matter because he doesn't have a clue either. Can anybody give me some good instructions on what to do? I don't mind getting my hands dirty, or using tools. HELP! I'm up a creek!!!!!! Thanks so much to anyone who can help.

R

Rancher

imustbecrazy said:
.The pressure guage, until about a week ago, used to tick each time water was being used. I read that this is normal.
Not sure that is normal, never heard a gauge tick before.
imustbecrazy said:
.Now, the needle is all the way over to the right (on 100), and nothing is happening with it when the water is on or off.
Replace the gauge and get back to us.

Rancher

imustbecrazy

Reaction score
Okay, but first, the ticking was when the psi needle on the guage jumped. i know this sounds crazy, but remember, I have little to no idea what I'm talking about, although I know what psi is. One day when I first moved there 2 years ago, I heard the ticking and went outside to look at what it was coming from. The PSI would jump from low to over 75 or somewhere thereabouts. The water pressure in the house wasn't changing, though. It's been fine until now. Do you still say to change the guage?

Bob NH

In the Trades
Reaction score
The gauge doesn't affect performance but the failed gauge may be an indication of a problem. If you aren't in a place where the gauge could have been frozen, then it may have failed due to overpressure.

You should replace the gauge and I suggest trying to find one with a range of 0 to 160 psi. A 160 psi gauge will withstand more pressure and help diagnose a problem.

Excessive pressure is most often a problem if you have municipal water supply with a pressure regulating valve, and no expansion tank to allow expansion when cold water is heated.

If you have a pump with a tank, the most common reason for overpressure would be if the pressure switch failed. However, a submersible pump should ALWAYS be installed with a relief valve that will relieve the pressure if it exceeds 75 or 100 psi. A relief valve is a device mounted near the tank with an outlet or short pipe that doesn't connect to the system.

If you have a deep-well pump with some kind of control and no tank, or a very small tank, it is possible to have overpressure if the control fails.

Another set of possibilities is if you have a filter in the system, or a Cycle Stop Valve between the gauge and the tank. Tell us if you have any of these items, and where they are connected. Then we may be able to diagnose the problem.

The gauge can be replaced by turning off power to the pump; then running water until there is no pressure; and then remove and replace the gauge. You should have some Teflon tape to seal the threads of the new valve.

imustbecrazy

Reaction score
Okay, that's a lot of good information. 1st, it's a deep well, but not a municiple supply. 2nd, the pump housing is pretty big and about 5 feet tall, so i assume that means the tank isn't too small (?). 3rd, There is a small pipe on the outside (2 different ones), so i think that means that's the relief valve, 4th, i don't think there's a filtration system(is it noticeable?) but I can't recall right now what's between the guage and the pump on that side and I'm at work so I can't go look. One question, there is a water spigot and what looks like a spigot without the twist handle thing on one of the 2 small pipes. I can just see the threads. Is that where the pressure is checked?What's that for? You don't know how much I appreciate your input in this.

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
www.qualitywaterassociates.com
The tick was probably the pressure switch opening and/or closing the contact points in it. That turns the pump on or off. The switch, usually a gray or blue box roughly 2"x 4" on a nipple on the water line at the pressure tank, has Romex (electric cable) going to it and power cabling or a cord leaving it going to a control box and/or a pump.

When gauges go bad, the needle doesn't travel much if at all; they tend to stick in one spot. The usual cause is rust or other dirt build up inside them. A new one is like $5 and 0-100 psi is just fine and the 'norm'.

If you have a submersible pump (in the well), there could be a leak and the pump is running constantly. That's one possible reason for the lower pressure in the house. If that is the case, you really want to fix it.

Teflon tape is not a seal, it lubricates the tapered pipe threads.

Speedbump

Reaction score
Be sure they check the tank. It sounds to me like it's totally waterlogged. This condition can do two things. It can make your pressure seem low, and it can burn up pump motors. Call a pump tech or well driller.

bob...

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks