My plumbing layout, any red flags?

Users who are viewing this thread

Scott Rudy

Reaction score
I will be having my friend (who is a licensed plumber) look this all over when it is complete (dry fit, not glued) But, so i don't embarrass myself in front of him, can someone look over this drawing of what i have planned for two bathrooms that i am creating in my home? (turning a three bedroom into a two with an ensuite and a new bathroom)

I am concerned with the venting, and where the toilets are in relation to the vents. did i do ok?

scott
charleroi, pa

Attachments

• bath-pipes.jpg
    bath-pipes.jpg
    31.8 KB · Views: 248

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
You might look at tying the shower drain to one of the water closet waste arms, effectively venting that water closet and shower through the lavatory. The fixture vents should be on the fixture drains, not the main line. A matter of drawing more correctly, but the connections on the horizontal drains must be made with wye or combo fittings.

Reach4

Reaction score
Its not required, but having 4 x 3 closet bends/elbows is better. That lets you use a 4 inch closet flange.

Jadziedzic

Reaction score
Keep in mind a "dry fit" connection between a pipe and fitting will not be the same length as a glued connection between the two. The pipes are an interference fit with the fittings, and when glue is used the pipe will seat deeper into the fitting, causing the length to be less.

Scott Rudy

Reaction score
I didn't vent the w/c thru the shower/sink vent because i have a joist running between them. here is a new image showing the joist and what i think you are suggesting. I had to add two new joist because the left toilet hit the middle of an existing one which i headered off. The joist are very tight to the shower/sink drain. maybe 5" between. If i can avoid drilling the joist an go straight to the horizontal line directly i would prefer that...is it ok?

I am use wyes at the horizontal connections

THANK YOU!!!

Attachments

• bath-pipes-v3.jpg
    bath-pipes-v3.jpg
    33.9 KB · Views: 246

Scott Rudy

Reaction score
I figure i will be cutting some new lengths of pipe when it come to final assembly. which end do you usually start on the sewer end or the fixture end?

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
I didn't vent the w/c thru the shower/sink vent because i have a joist running between them. here is a new image showing the joist and what i think you are suggesting. I had to add two new joist because the left toilet hit the middle of an existing one which i headered off. The joist are very tight to the shower/sink drain. maybe 5" between. If i can avoid drilling the joist an go straight to the horizontal line directly i would prefer that...is it ok?

I am use wyes at the horizontal connections

THANK YOU!!!

It can be done either way.

The water closet vent will need to be on the trap arm of the water closet. You can't have vertical drop exceeding 1/4" per foot in the trap arm, and then the vent downstream.

Scott Rudy

Reaction score
Damn...this plumbing thing is harder than it looks. From the outside observer it looks like building with legos....Haaaaa. I think that is why my friend is letting me do this and then coming to check it over, this is humbling!

I'll be home soon and rework this.

Would it be ok if I didn't
Drop more than 1/4 " vertically by laying my wyes on their sides

Thank you for the help

Reach4

Reaction score
Would it be ok if I didn't
Drop more than 1/4 " vertically by laying my wyes on their sides
You might want to rephrase that. You weren't wanting to have something with less than 1/4 inch per foot slope, were you? I think maybe you were asking that if you sloped 1/4 inch per foot, or more, could you come in to wyes on their sides rather than from above the target pipe.

Scott Rudy

Reaction score
Yes, that is what I was trying to say. If I Drop 1/4 per foot (but not more) by laying the wyes on their side, can I keep my vents out on the horizontal pipe?

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
You have to check with your inspector. The vent between the two toilets is completely useless, and connecting the lav to the toilet arm could be considered "tapped closet bend" which usually illegal. The right hand toilet is NOT vented, but would have to check with the inspector whether it has to be in your area.

Scott Rudy

Reaction score
...and another view that may make my two bathrooms easier to understand...

Attachments

• another-view.gif
    another-view.gif
    20.5 KB · Views: 241

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
Ok a complete do over...did I learn anything from all of your help?
...and another view that may make my two bathrooms easier to understand...

You are going backwards now. The vent take-off must be vertical until it is at least 6" higher than the flood rim of the highest connected fixture. The vent wyes are also now facing the wrong way in regards to flow. Waste going up the vent is a bad thing.

Scott Rudy

Reaction score
ok, my buddy -who I am trying to show off to is stopping by tomorrow afternoon...if this doesn't work I will have to admit that he is smarter than I am...(new found respect for what he, and you folks, do every day). He will do everything correct and have it inspected but I want to have it done before he shows up for bragging rights

I hope this works...connecting to the horizontal using a combination wye and a low heel 90 with the heel inlet being used as the vent for my toilets

Attachments

• pipes-5.gif
    pipes-5.gif
    21.8 KB · Views: 214

Reach4

Reaction score
The tub needs a trap. The shower needs a trap, but maybe your drawing tried to indicate a trap. Your buddy may be able simplify, but he will probably appreciate your efforts as a starting point.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks