My "new" WH had bad elements.

Users who are viewing this thread

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
One year is probably long enough for things to be locked in tighter than when new, but as said, they tend to way overtighten them at the factory- they'd rather they don't leak upon installation. Thing is, they aren't particularly worried about people replacing them...they'd rather they didn't, as that would mean they would take longer before they needed a new one!

Pete C

Reaction score
Wasn't aware of this Ceranode thing.

So, it looks as though I have another question to ask.

I have never experienced a sulfur smell with my water. I have had anode equipped tanks.

Is it a waste of money? If it will extend the life of this tank, it might be worth it.

Reach4

Reaction score
Is it a waste of money? If it will extend the life of this tank, it might be worth it.
I think that protects like magnesium. If you don't have H2S and can change your anode every few years, it would take a lot of magnesium anodes to get to the price of a Ceranode. Also, a powered anode could fail. It has simple electronics. My first one failed after a few years. They had changed the design of the electronics and swapped out my failed unit for the new one under warranty. The procedure was I ordered a new one, and they refunded that when I mailed back the failed unit.

That said, powered anodes are used to protect tanks and pipelines because they don't have to keep changing the anode.

Water heater life seems to vary around the country. Some water is more corrosive than others I guess.

Last edited:

Phog

Reaction score
You'll get conflicting answers on that question depending on who you ask. Note that while the anode protects against galvanic corrosion, there are still other mechanisms that cause the inside of the tank to degrade. And other parts of the water heater that will wear out too. So you're not buying a "lifetime" water heater. However it does seem to make a certain amount of sense.

Master Plumber Mark

Sensitivity trainer and plumber of mens souls
Reaction score
indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
Website
www.weilhammerplumbing.com
One year is probably long enough for things to be locked in tighter than when new, but as said, they tend to way overtighten them at the factory- they'd rather they don't leak upon installation. Thing is, they aren't particularly worried about people replacing them...they'd rather they didn't, as that would mean they would take longer before they needed a new one!

Dont take my word for this , I just do this for a living...
you will just have to find out for yourself......they really DO over-tighten
those rods so they are nearly impossible to get out--- been there and done that

On a Bradford white heater it is very easy as the rod is installed on the hot water nipple
going into the tank... on other brands its not so easy at all....

Recently the Rheem brand has nearly made it impossible to even get a socket down onto the
nut without literally melting out the plastic casting stamped into the heater around it..... I have had
to heat up a wood chisel to red hot and melt out this plastic tube stamped into the heater just to remove that
rod on a few heaters..... I dont think they want them fooled with...

either way good luck with this....

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks