My master bathroom remodel to date.....

Users who are viewing this thread

Reaction score
Website
www.howardemerson.com
Nobody will ever accuse me of rushing things. I made a 'sketch' of an idea over 10 years ago, and this past October I decided to just do it. My wife had, hours earlier, left to visit the kids in Toronto, so it was time for 'dust with impunity'. I'll let the pictures do the talking, but basically I've done everything, and will shortly be grouting what's been tile so far. This will allow final mounting of the Toto wall sink with shroud and setting of a Toto toilet. Herewith.......

The Sketch:
D1NU58Y.jpg

The original bathroom:
cKEU2uD.jpg

As of yesterday, 1/19/22:
bZXbGoL.jpg

It's a work in progress......

Reaction score
Website
www.howardemerson.com
There have been some tricky details to work out, but the idea was so firmly rooted that I really had no choice but to figure it out, carefully of course. The counters on either side of the sink needed to be 'fitted' concentrically to a very compound curve. With the help of a jig saw and a drill press drum sander in a hand drill, it was way easier than expected. The 5/4 cherry slab was 60" x 14", $240.00, so there was only going to be one chance to get it right.

Here's some shots of process. Temporary mounting of the sink for templates:

us3jBRo.jpg

Oaktag template:
fMXTN6U.jpg

Roughing the cherry:
xJ8KWHR.jpg

Hand drill sanding drum to the rescue:
teZXwDj.jpg

Making sure I can work on the toilet guts without hassle. Toto used to make a shorter tank 1 piece when I first envisioned this bathroom. In a pinch I made the counters removable, but I'd rather not.....Note the toilet is on a dolly for back saving.
2TIHI1f.jpg

Getting an overview of how it's coming before tiling continued:
DZHF0wW.jpg

To be continued.....

Regards,
Howard Emerson

Reaction score
Website
www.howardemerson.com
There have been some tricky details to work out, but the idea was so firmly rooted that I really had no choice but to figure it out, carefully of course. The counters on either side of the sink needed to be 'fitted' concentrically to a very compound curve. With the help of a jig saw and a drill press drum sander in a hand drill, it was way easier than expected. The 5/4 cherry slab was 60" x 14", $240.00, so there was only going to be one chance to get it right.

Here's some shots of process. Temporary mounting of the sink for templates:

us3jBRo.jpg

Oaktag template:
fMXTN6U.jpg

Roughing the cherry:
xJ8KWHR.jpg

Hand drill sanding drum to the rescue:
teZXwDj.jpg

Making sure I can work on the toilet guts without hassle. Toto used to make a shorter tank 1 piece when I first envisioned this bathroom. In a pinch I made the counters removable, but I'd rather not.....Note the toilet is on a dolly for back saving.
2TIHI1f.jpg

Getting an overview of how it's coming before tiling continued:
DZHF0wW.jpg

To be continued.....

Regards,
Howard Emerson
And finally, the dry area is functioning.......mostly......

emerson-02.jpg

The Hansgrohe Talis faucet I bought from a plumbing supplier on eBay has a little issue: The package came with the drain with pop-up, pop-up rod and proper instructions, but the body of the faucet was, evidently, the model that is supplied with no pop-up, hence it is 'hole-less'.......I expect a full refund, return shipping on their dime, in return for their 6500+ 100% rating remaining unsullied.....

Yes, I never thought to look for the hole when I opened the package and saw all the parts needed to have a pop-up......

Best,
Howard Emerson

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction score
Website
www.howardemerson.com
The main area of the bathroom is pretty much cooked. The lav shroud is installed, and it really is a nice look! The clever threaded caps screw into the mounting screws, and unless you know that, they're a head scratcher. I also made a double towel bar and matching roll holder, as well as a waste basket from a bunch of cherry scraps I had.

vkb4Tth.jpg

pMK20cL.jpg

uzTbBRV.jpg

It's a work in progress.......

HE

Reach4

Reaction score
Where will the toilet paper dispenser go? I don't need to know, but you do. If you like overshot toilet paper, you don't want that dangling onto the leg of the user.

I assume you have 15 inches from the center of the toilet to the left wall (as viewed by the user).

Reaction score
Website
www.howardemerson.com
Where will the toilet paper dispenser go? I don't need to know, but you do. If you like overshot toilet paper, you don't want that dangling onto the leg of the user.

I assume you have 15 inches from the center of the toilet to the left wall (as viewed by the user).
I opted to put the roll in front instead of the side. Large towels would force it to be too far towards the back.

There's 18" to the center of the toilet, but it's easy to reach forward in this case. No twisting involved.

emerson-01.jpg

Reaction score
Website
www.howardemerson.com
That looks really nice how that turned out. :)
Thanks, Terry!

I have to say that we're really pleased with the Toto Eco Ultramax! It's very, very efficient and makes the Kohler San Raphael (on the opposite side of the wall) seem like a dinosaur!

Fortunately there have been no issues with the Eco drawing any water from the San Raphael, so I have one less thing to worry about.

One of the little gadgets I wanted for my wife was a replacement magnifying mirror, and unfortunately I saw the elegantly designed Simplehuman advertised somewhere. At that time the going price was $200, and I just could not rationalize it, but it had my attention.

Somehow, some way I found one on eBay with a starting bid of $20 plus shipping in Arizona. It had a small crack on the plastic LED ring lens, and the pictures showed it quite clearly. Evidently it scared everybody else off, and I actually got it for $20 plus $23 in shipping. It came complete, works perfectly and the going rate for this model is now almost $350!!!!

Sometimes you get lucky! The movement sensor works perfectly, and it turns off automatically when it senses no movement after a few minutes.

See the crack at 3:00? I guess if you're using a magnifying mirror to start with the small defect will not be too obvious. It's wireless, and charges with a USB cable. The GFCI I installed has both USB connection sizes including the newer iPhone mini USB or whatever they're calling it.

The mirror is a very well designed piece.

w9RUEIW.jpg

G6uQ2CI.jpg

Tiling the shower area starts later this morning........

Thanks for looking!

Howard

Reaction score
Website
www.howardemerson.com
The shower base has been leak tested, finally! It's certainly easier with a dropped ceiling below!

I installed the Hansgrohe system and everything went smoothly. The outlet for the handheld shower hose, though, came with packaging that said the nipple should protrude 5/8" from the finished surface. Luckily I did not believe what I read, and I actually had to cut & rethread a nipple to get what I needed, which was 3/8", which is what Hansgrohe specs ON LINE! The packaging had a mis-print. In any case it all worked out for the better, and the tile & caulking is complete.

The frameless glass door is next.......

KtWpmjF.jpg

ujLW2ER.jpg

HE

Reaction score
Website
www.howardemerson.com
Finally got to install the shower door, and instead of doing double the work, I used the door with the hinges mounted to make an accurate drilling template. Given how much effort it took to actually hoist the door into position when we finally started screwing it into the pre-drilled holes, the concept was well-founded! Now it's a matter of making the main corner trim and door molding, and it's pretty well cooked. My wife has used it a bunch of times, and the plumbing is tight. I wish I could say the same for the shower door bottom corners, but it's clearly the nature of the beast.
ddEr2NA.jpg

Jenny Alice

Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
The bathroom walls are suitable for installing some adhesive bathroom accessories, such as toilet paper holder, shower caddy and towel holders to create bathroom wall storage space. The adhesive bathroom accessories will stick to the wall without drilling holes so these nice bathroom walls would not be damaged.

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
The shower base has been leak tested, finally! It's certainly easier with a dropped ceiling below!

I installed the Hansgrohe system and everything went smoothly. The outlet for the handheld shower hose, though, came with packaging that said the nipple should protrude 5/8" from the finished surface. Luckily I did not believe what I read, and I actually had to cut & rethread a nipple to get what I needed, which was 3/8", which is what Hansgrohe specs ON LINE! The packaging had a mis-print. In any case it all worked out for the better, and the tile & caulking is complete.

The frameless glass door is next.......

KtWpmjF.jpg

ujLW2ER.jpg

HE
I like this setup you can drain the shower riser most people do something silly with these.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks