• Toilet Vanity wastes.JPG
    Toilet Vanity wastes.JPG
    96.6 KB · Views: 310

Smellslike$tome

Plumbing Company Owner
Reaction score
Website
www.themastersplumbingco.com
This is the best advice you will ever receive regarding your project. Stop what you are doing immediately and hire a professional! You are about to step into a nightmare because you have no idea what you are doing! You think that because you talked to a couple of people and maybe even read a book, that you can do this but you can't. You don't know nearly enough. I'm not trying to be hard on you. I am trying to save you a lot of heartache.

Fubar411

Reaction score
Smells,
Can you be a little more specific about the problems with my design? I would be more inclined to seek professional help if I knew what problems I had. I do have a professional plumber coming in two days to look at what I have done (but not glued).

Thank you,
Rob

Smellslike$tome

Plumbing Company Owner
Reaction score
Website
www.themastersplumbingco.com
Smells,
Can you be a little more specific about the problems with my design? I would be more inclined to seek professional help if I knew what problems I had. I do have a professional plumber coming in two days to look at what I have done (but not glued).

Thank you,
Rob

This is more evidence of why you need to turn this over to a professional, the fact that you don't know what is wrong with it. The problems are numerous just at a glance and I'm very sorry but I'm just not willing to invest that sort of time into it because I kind of sense that you are determined to do it yourself no matter what. Trust me on this you need to hand this over to a professional and when I say hand it over I mean call in a reputable company not some jackleg that your neighbor's girlfriends cousins friend knows. If you know someone personally who has had a great first hand experience with a particular plumbing company, then great use them just don't get some hack in there thinking that you are going to be any better off than you are now. When they get there tell them "I'd like a toilet here, a sink here, etc." and then get out of there way.

Good luck. I hope you'll listen.

Geniescience

Homeowner
Reaction score
ditto. Too many things don't feel right over here across the internet, Rob.

At least draw long sweeps as long, and find out a lot more about every point made by each new poster instead of asking them to elaborate what is wrong; you did this with hj and jimbo.

You aren't making progress in understanding between each new post, not enough for me to take your side. I'm glad someone spoke up. Within a few years you will be able to figure out what you didn't know, if you stick with us. So far i haven't been able to figure out what you need "to be told" so I haven't said anything.

except to say that you drew a top view and a side view all together in one single 2-D drawing.
:)
david

Master Plumber Mark

Sensitivity trainer and plumber of mens souls
Reaction score
indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
Website
www.weilhammerplumbing.com
seems like a lot of work for soemthing so simple

It looks like this fellow had it almost close to perfect before everyone threw in their two cents worth...
perhaps in every state their are different quirks to the code ..but all in all it is not that bad....
perhaps he does not know how to draw long sweeps ....but it looks tolerable to me...

attachment.php

If he were to use 2 3x2 tees and simply stack them on top of one another putting the lavatory drain above the laundry ...the lavatory would work as a wet vent for the toilet when the laundry discharged...

Personally..... I think the double tee probably would suffice because its only an 1 1/4 laundry hose discharge into a 3 inch drain....which cannot be enough water to close off the 3 inch drain and make that toilet siphon.... I have seen it done this way before many times in extremely tight spots....and it always worked fine.

but to make everyone happy ,
throw out the double wye and install the 2 3x2 tees and it simply has to work

then basically you have re-vented the toilet twice.....
with 2 inch vents what more can you ask...

this has got to work, it simply cannot ....not ....work....

and in most states I would think that this has got to pass
any code ...or be a very good arguement and lively debate with the insepctor.

Last edited:

Fubar411

Reaction score
ditto. Too many things don't feel right over here across the internet, Rob.

At least draw long sweeps as long, and find out a lot more about every point made by each new poster instead of asking them to elaborate what is wrong; you did this with hj and jimbo.

You aren't making progress in understanding between each new post, not enough for me to take your side. I'm glad someone spoke up. Within a few years you will be able to figure out what you didn't know, if you stick with us. So far i haven't been able to figure out what you need "to be told" so I haven't said anything.

except to say that you drew a top view and a side view all together in one single 2-D drawing.
:)
david

I realize the top and side was a bad idea, that's why I'm now showing off my excellent ms paint skills.

I do understand that any 90 bend is with a long sweep if it is for waste (or preferably two 45s like I'm using for the 3" wc drain) I'm also using a tight 90 for the vents and having them meet up well above the overflow of the sink.

Master Plumber Mark

Sensitivity trainer and plumber of mens souls
Reaction score
indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
Website
www.weilhammerplumbing.com
the air dont know the difference

I do understand that any 90 bend is with a long sweep if it is for waste (or preferably two 45s like I'm using for the 3" wc drain) I'm also using a tight 90 for the vents and having them meet up well above the overflow of the sink.

a tight 90 or a long sweep 90 does not really make a difference in the venting system...at all .

and depending on the situation it really does not make too much a differnece in the drain line either

of course the long sweep fitting would be preferred in the drain,
but you do what you got to do ............to win ...........

I have had to use literally thousands of them in new construction work..where we
cannot cut out the whole joyst just to get that long sweep in .
and the builder isnt going to drop the kitchen ceiling to appease the plumber... ..

the tiny amount of air fluctuation in the pipes cant tell the difference when it passes through
the fitting...wether its going through a tight 90 or a long sweep when the toilet gets flushed...

the air isnt going to howl as it passes
through that tight 90

and the drain water wont stop up on a lavatory if you cant use
a long sweep 90 either.....

it will work fine for probably 150 years...
then the next guy can cuss you for doing such a piss poor job

Last edited:

Fubar411

Reaction score
so the plumber came by

And he didn't like much of what he saw. He is willing to do the whole rough in for a reasonable price and reuse some of my materials. It is good that I didn't glue of course. I had no idea how hard this stuff is...and please no I told you so's, it was a learning experience.

Some strange things, my city doesn't want the purple stuff on the pipes. In fact, he said it would be proof a handyman did it. I made some other comments in the photos, can't believe I was so that far off.

Attachments

• enters main.JPG
    enters main.JPG
    57.2 KB · Views: 252
  • vanity.JPG
    vanity.JPG
    50.6 KB · Views: 268
  • Laundry Hookup.JPG
    Laundry Hookup.JPG
    75.1 KB · Views: 261
  • toilet.JPG
    toilet.JPG
    82.1 KB · Views: 263
  • waste.JPG
    waste.JPG
    66.1 KB · Views: 267
Last edited:

Fubar411

Reaction score
Bad news. Looks like his estimate was $3k and they won't be able to come out for a few weeks.

If I vent the toilet and I use the Ys rather than a sanitary T, would it be that far off?

The good news is I've been practicing my soldering. I'm actually getting pretty good at it. I think I just was rushing through the cleaning and fluxing process. Also, when the fittings are really tight, it seems to clean the flux off my pipe as it is entering the fitting. Anyone else have that experience?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks