My AC breaker/disconnect

Users who are viewing this thread

mggray87

Reaction score
I'm remodeling my backyard. So I'm actually relocating my AC to the side of the house. On my carrier condenser ig says 50a breaker. My panel has a 50a breaker in it for ac already. It also says 50a fuse max. The current setup in old location. Has a little disconnect with a 30a breaker in it.

I'm replacing the disconnect when I relocate it. Do I get a 50a fused disconnect or do i get a 30a fused disconect?

mggray87

Reaction score
The current old service disconnect I have that it's been running on is a 30a 2 pole breaker type disconnect.

Attachments

• 1522644186375218463435398428509.jpg
    1522644186375218463435398428509.jpg
    87 KB · Views: 383

mggray87

Reaction score
The current old service disconnect I have that it's been running on is a 30a 2 pole breaker type disconnect.

I totally lied to you guys went outside and took a picture. Not a 30a breaker. I dont know where I got that. It looks like a breaker but doesn't have any numbers. But. If i replace this with the same type thing. 60a switched disconnect will it be ok?

Attachments

• 20180401_215410.jpg
    20180401_215410.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 721

Stuff

Reaction score
You don't need a fused disconnect as the breaker in the panel handles the overcurrent protection. Some disconnects like yours look like a breaker but are just an on/off switch. Most a/c disconnects are rated at 60 amp and you need 50 or higher so you'll be OK.

Carlo1982

Reaction score
You don't need a fused disconnect as the breaker in the panel handles the overcurrent protection. Some disconnects like yours look like a breaker but are just an on/off switch. Most a/c disconnects are rated at 60 amp and you need 50 or higher so you'll be OK.

I agree.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
The magic is what does the manual require for incoming power.

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
The rating plate reads 50a MAX fused and minimum 30 amp fuse. The full load amps (FLA) for both the fan motor and compressor is under 25 amps. Any breaker and disconnect switch can be used with ratings between 30-50 amps. With a 50 amp in the breaker panel you'll should have #6 wire which is probably doubtful. If you're reusing the same wire check the AWG and use the proper size breaker for the wire, not the appliance. On the relocate all is needed is a #8 wire with a forty amp breaker.

That disconnect at the AC unit is for safety (required by code) and it is most likely a switch even though it looks like a circuit breaker. All switches have current ratings. This style was very common and used everywhere but in most areas a pull out disconnect is now required. You grab the handle of the disconnect (similar to a bus bar) and remove it completely. No chance as with an old breaker style disconnect that it corroded and the electrical connection is present with the switch in the off mode. It also allow the tech to place it in his pockets so no one comes buy the switches it on when the tech is not present. There are fused disconnects available but they are not needed.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/GE-60-Amp-240-Volt-Non-Fuse-Metallic-AC-Disconnect-TFN60RCP/100674085

Attachments

• IMG_3266.JPG
    IMG_3266.JPG
    74 KB · Views: 465

Stuff

Reaction score
The rating plate reads 50a MAX fused and minimum 30 amp fuse. The full load amps (FLA) for both the fan motor and compressor is under 25 amps. Any breaker and disconnect switch can be used with ratings between 30-50 amps. With a 50 amp in the breaker panel you'll should have #6 wire which is probably doubtful. If you're reusing the same wire check the AWG and use the proper size breaker for the wire, not the appliance. On the relocate all is needed is a #8 wire with a forty amp breaker.
The code has special provisions for a/c equipment. The Minimum Circuit Amps (MCA) determines wire size while Maximum Overcurrent Protection(MOP) determines breaker size. With the nameplate showing MCA of 29.5 you can use 10 gauge wire. With MOP of 50 you can use up to a 50 amp breaker or fuse. Using lower than MOP is OK but commonly causes nuisance tripping. Notice the Locked Rotor Amps (LRA) is 131. Way higher than the MCA or MOP but the design and code allows it.

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
I just noticed that this is a R-22 and since you’re wanting to relocate if it will get expensive because by 2020 R-22 will not be allowed to be sold on the USA. The last price I heard was nearly $600 for a 30 lb tank. You may want to replace it since new lines may have to be installed. I’m sure your HVAC tech may have already recommended it.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks