Musty smell/smelly air from water heater

Users who are viewing this thread

Megluno

Reaction score
Hey guys, I live in an apartment complex, weve had the guys out multiple times and cant figure out why the water heater is making this musty/gross smell...they're taking a long time to get this figured out and wondering if there is any insight you guys could give.....water heater is a Bradford White Defender... we've already tried using the little water release lever to drain some of the water out and that hadnt helped....please help.

Reach4

Reaction score
Well water?

Shared water heater, or just for your apartment?

Do other water heaters in the complex have the same odor?

Do flush the WH with the drain valve. Let us know if you want info as to how.

Megluno

Reaction score
Well water?

Shared water heater, or just for your apartment?

Do other water heaters in the complex have the same odor?

Do flush the WH with the drain valve. Let us know if you want info as to how.
It's not a shared...its just in the apartment..as far as I know nobody else in the complex have this issue, and I dont believe it's well water.. I have no idea how to drain it.. if you know how that would be awesome!...also I think it's a gas water heater...

Attachments

• 15526794336347382239301599650648.jpg
    15526794336347382239301599650648.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 1,224

Reach4

Reaction score
Drain valve is brass thing is on the side in your photo. Operates with a big flat blade screwdriver. You will want to hook up a garden hose and run that to the tub or a floor drain. If you use the tub, you can get a look at how the water looks coming out.

Usually the chlorine in city water keeps stuff from growing in the WH. Maybe by the time the water gets to you, the chlorine is gone. After your flush, you can try turning up the temperature a lot to make it uncomfortable for stuff to grow in there.

Flush info: see https://terrylove.com/forums/index....o-flush-a-hot-water-heater.79444/#post-576623
Edit: is the smell near the WH or is the smell detected in the hot water. I have been thinking the hot water.

If it the area around the WH, that would be different. Do you know what gas smells like? If so and it is not gas, is that area moist for some reason? Is it on the ground floor?

Last edited:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
You might try turning the aquastat up all the way for a day or so. If it's inside the WH, that may kill it. If you don't have a tempering valve on the outlet, be very careful, as the water will get VERY hot.

Does the T&P valve ever open up on its own? Could there be some source of water that got underneath the WH and is now growing mold/mildew?

If the flue is not done well, it's possible there might be some condensation, and it's leaking out along the way, making things like the insulation wet...eventually, that could start to smell musty.

It's a different smell versus mildew, but with some water chemistry, changing the anode rod can reduce some smells.

TO clarify, does the water itself smell, or just the area around the WH? The previous thoughts only apply if it's the water smelling, not something else around the WH.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks