Mustee shower pan

Users who are viewing this thread

frank in ohio

Reaction score
In remodeling a bathroom, I was at the point of replacing the shower. I bought an E.L. Mustee shower pan (36 x 36). The drain is in the middle, as was the old one, but rather than being just a hole, there is a sort of built in drain that extends down about 2 inches or so. The directions say to simply insert the 2" pipe from below, then press in this donut looking rubber thing from above (after applying some sort of lubricant), and all will be well. This just seems that it will be subject to leaks. I have a friend who has replaced a shower before, and said that his drain was just the hole in the center, and that he had a piece underneath with threads that the 2" pipe went in to, then the top drain threaded into it with a rubber donut in between that gets compressed when tightening up the drain. Seems better to me. Does this Musteee setup without threads actually work?

thanks in advance
frank

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Properly installed, it will work until either the rubber degrades or the pipe gets moved. Personally, I much prefer a tiled pan. Check out www.johnbridge.com for tiling help - you might decide to do that instead.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks