Murky water

Users who are viewing this thread

tango

Reaction score
Hi guys new-by here, I had a well drilled at remote cabin last summer in idaho. Driller hit water at 200 ft but we went extra 20 feet so total well is 220 feet drilling through decomposed on top and then granite. Getting 4 gallons a minute and static water is 28 feet. Casing is six inch metal first 60 feet than 4 inch pvc to bottom. I put in a 3/4 horse 5 gpm pump at 195 feet on 1 inch poly. Im pumping to 40 gallon pressure tank in cabin. Tank is set at 40/60 to turn pump on and off. We let water run out side till it cleared up then plumbed into house. we only use this every other weekend or so, The water is murky and will plug filters over the week end. using 3 4x10 filters. It is not coarse sand it is like silt real fine. The longer i let the water run it seams to clear up. Do I need to cycle it a lot to get dirt out not sure what to do to fix this?

Reach4

Reaction score
Your 3 filters-- are they in series? If so, the first one should be maybe a 100 micron filter... and then go to finer in subsequent filters. Or are they in parallel? If so, consider a bigger filter or two.

How fast does the sediment from an unfiltered faucet settle in a glass? If much of it settles within 2 minutes, a Twist II Clean filter might be a good addition before your other filter. It could take off the heavier sediment to leave less for your other filters to do.

Running the water full blast from unfiltered outside faucets for a while may clear things up a lot. If you don't have a protector to shut down the pump for you if you run out of water, be ready to shut off the pump quickly if it loses pressure. If you do have a pump protector, I would consider running the water over night.

Not a pro.

tango

Reaction score
Your 3 filters-- are they in series? If so, the first one should be maybe a 100 micron filter... and then go to finer in subsequent filters. Or are they in parallel? If so, consider a bigger filter or two.

How fast does the sediment from an unfiltered faucet settle in a glass? If much of it settles within 2 minutes, a Twist II Clean filter might be a good addition before your other filter. It could take off the heavier sediment to leave less for your other filters to do.

Running the water full blast from unfiltered outside faucets for a while may clear things up a lot. If you don't have a protector to shut down the pump for you if you run out of water, be ready to shut off the pump quickly if it loses pressure. If you do have a pump protector, I would consider running the water over night.

Not a pro.
The water from unfiltered faucet in a glass is hard to see but it can set in a glass couple hours and never does seem to settle. Im not sure of difference in series or parallel. Water goes in one than out of it into next and then into 3rd and then goes into uv light than to fixtures

Reach4

Reaction score
That is in series: all water goes through each filter.

Are you using the same element in each cartridge filter? If so, the first filter is probably doing the great majority of the work.

For a deep cased well, the UV light is probably not needed. You would not have pathogenic bacteria from that deep, and you might be able to get rid of the non-harmful-to-people iron and sulfur reducing bacteria in the well. I would sanitize the well and plumbing. http://www.moravecwaterwells.com/disin_test.htm is my favorite procedure.

tango

Reaction score
It sounds like your well just hasn't been developed. Pumping it hard, sometimes it takes days, might clear it up so you don't need the filter.
Thanks , Do i just let it run or should i start and stop every couple hours? i dont think i have to worry about pumping it dry after pumping 4 hours the static water level never changed

tango

Reaction score
That is in series: all water goes through each filter.

Are you using the same element in each cartridge filter? If so, the first filter is probably doing the great majority of the work.

For a deep cased well, the UV light is probably not needed. You would not have pathogenic bacteria from that deep, and you might be able to get rid of the non-harmful-to-people iron and sulfur reducing bacteria in the well. I would sanitize the well and plumbing. http://www.moravecwaterwells.com/disin_test.htm is my favorite procedure.
Thanks ,Im using 20 micron than a 1 micron than a .5 micron. Do you think those are to small

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
It sounds like your well just hasn't been developed. Pumping it hard, sometimes it takes days, might clear it up so you don't need the filter.
I agree.

Pumping it as long and as fast as you can with no pressure and no flow restriction would probably produce the best results. You need large enough pipes and a hose bib with large enough opening to do that.

Sometimes on and off pumping will surge the well and surge developing can stir up sediment, so you may need to try both methods.

Reach4

Reaction score
Thanks ,Im using 20 micron than a 1 micron than a .5 micron. Do you think those are to small

Yes. It would be nice to have pressure gauges between stages, but I don't have that either.

I am not sure how to figure what is best. I am thinking 100 to 200 first. Then maybe 25 to 50 next. Is the first filter the only one that gets really gunked up?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks