Murky water well pump help

Users who are viewing this thread

Missleah1991

Reaction score
Ok so our well was made in I believe the late 60s, I'm not 100% sure. The previous owner of the house was elder and switched to city water when his pump went out.
We replaced EVERYTHING in the well house around 2 weeks ago. New pump, hose, pipe etc. Water has been doing great, nice and clear with no bad taste or smell. Last night the water got left running (My 2 year old) and I'm guessing ran the well out. So when I turned on the water it was dark and muddy. We let it sit overnight and today (24 hours later) it still is a little murky. Any suggestions on what to do? Thanks.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Normally I would say to pump the well out for an hour or so. But it sounds like that maybe what caused the problem to begin with. Maybe just a couple days of regular use will let it settle down.

Atomic1

Reaction score
Pretty common actually. By leaving the water run, you pulled the level of the water in the well down farther than usual which often stirs up deposits on the well walls. Same thing can happen when folks upgrade their well tanks to larger sizes (larger drawdown).

If this keeps happening, you may want to invest in a prefilter. I'm sure having the well sitting unused for so long has allowed a lot to build up.

And only because you mention a 2 yr old is in the house, please get the water tested, at a minimum for coliform.

Missleah1991

Reaction score
Normally I would say to pump the well out for an hour or so. But it sounds like that maybe what caused the problem to begin with. Maybe just a couple days of regular use will let it settle down.
As of today it is still a little murky but not as bad. We've been using the water like normal minus drinking it. Hoping it's back to normal soon!

Reach4

Reaction score
A cartridge filter for your household water is a good idea IMO. I think a filter is good even on city water. For a well, I would want a bigger cartridge like a 4.5 x 20 inch. If you did not really need it, it will last a year. If you change the cartridge after a year, and the old cartridge is clean, it still did a job for you: quality control. If it lasts a shorter time before pressure drop increases, you needed it. I am not a pro.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks